Convincing character voices? (1 Viewer)

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Like the oddling that I am, I decided to do a stupid thing and have like 4 narrators in my story (2 major, 2 minor). Some people who've read my work have said it works well, others say my characters don't have separate voices. I'm scared to make different mannerisms, slang, tone and stuff like that too obvious or exaggerated in making these people sound distinct - I considered using different font faces (well, Times and Arial) like I've seen in some books through research but that's really just copping out a bit if I can't make it sound right.

I guess this is really an issue to address for all kinds of stories in terms of dialogue, not just multi-narrator ones, so is anyone here faced with this kind of problem and how are you dealing with it?

Apologies for the messiness ^__^

Cheers
Dani

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
WTF!bbq said:
I'm scared to make different mannerisms, slang, tone and stuff like that too obvious or exaggerated in making these people sound distinct
My story has two narrators, and i did exactly that ^

I used what you've mentioned (tone, mannerisms and slang) to differentiate between the two, not to mention that one's in third and the other first person.

What you could also do is write them from different perspectives, by which i mean one character might be caring and helpful while another doesn't care here nor there, so you'd be using dialogue aswell as how they describe what they're seeing to show the differences in character.

Yeah, if what I said made any sense.. Goodluck with it ;D

black_humour

HSC
WTF!bbq said:
I'm scared to make different mannerisms, slang, tone and stuff like that too obvious or exaggerated in making these people sound distinct - I considered using different font faces (well, Times and Arial) like I've seen in some books through research but that's really just copping out a bit if I can't make it sound right.
Hey, I know how you feel. I have three major narrations as I've got a collection of stories based on three characters. I have problems with maintaining voice too, but my teacher says that they're all distinct despite my fears. With mine though, is that each character is written from a different narration (1st, 2nd, 3rd person) so I have easier definement. I guess all you can do is have others read it because if you're anything like me, you'll learn that you read your story 100% differently to how your audience will.

I've also read my story more slowly (if that makes sense), and forced myself to read it the way it's supposed to be read. And it helps, cause you learn better syntax and other tech's that will direct the right direction of the voice.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)