Corby's sentence cut by five years (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Corby's sentence cut by five years

October 12, 2005

The Bali High Court has reduced Schapelle Corby's 20-year sentence for drug smuggling by five years, according to her lawyer.

She was jailed for 20 years in May this year and had been awaiting the outcome of an appeal to the Bali High Court that could set her free, reduce her sentence or increase it to life imprisonment. [...]

The Corby family's next avenue of appeal is to Indonesia's peak Supreme Court in Jakarta. [...]

Hutapea said he believed the 15 years was "not too bad''. "But I hope we get a better result from the Supreme Court."

Full Article - SMH

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Who cares about that ugly druggo hoebag when there is a MUCH prettier prisoner currently in a Bali prison? :D

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
who cares, seriously, i don't understand why aus still brags on about such old news. get over it, she's just another person who's been caught for drug smuggling.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Well said. Her fault. No one elses. She did it.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I would have liked a life sentence.
She is just putting on an act imho.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I say that conservatives should now deride indonesia for being 'soft on drugs'.........

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
She would of faced full penalties if it werent for the media and Australian relations between the two countries.

The Bali 9/10 ? What is it now. Would definately be charged higher charges.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
addymac said:
I say that conservatives should now deride indonesia for being 'soft on drugs'.........

hahaha.............

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
bscienceboi said:
She would of faced full penalties if it werent for the media and Australian relations between the two countries.
It was because of the media coverage that she had the book thrown at her. The judiciary were forced to make an example of her so they wouldnt appear soft on drugs. If it werent for the media [and maybe her looks/drama skills], she wouldve admitted everything, been sentenced and later bribed her way out - as is the custom.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Media reasons like Iron said, the need to make an example of her....

HSC
lil_dudette said:
but what i dont get is corby has drug offences for 20 years but bali bombers for no more than 5 years
Oh geez, you're a Telegraph reader. :rolleyes:

If the Bali bomber mastermind (intent, but no action) was trialed today, his minimum sentence would outdo hers. I don't know the specifics but i'm pretty sure he'd be executed, or at least in prison for life.

arooshika...

HSC
my sharona said:
Oh geez, you're a Telegraph reader. :rolleyes:

If the Bali bomber mastermind (intent, but no action) was trialed today, his minimum sentence would outdo hers. I don't know the specifics but i'm pretty sure he'd be executed, or at least in prison for life.
ive not read a newspaper in the past year

bobin

corby is innocent... y the hell would she be taking drugs into the country?.. it doesn't make sense..she has no past record of drug involvement etc...
and secondly the dealth penalty for drug importation is just wrong.. and Indonesia is stuped for advocating it.. they are equating murder(s) to the same level as drug smuggling..

for those ppl who think she should get death.. i would luv to see you in her position ..

if there is any reason for doubt.. she should be let go..

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
isn't it funny how you're the only one in this whole thread that thinks that way. she's guilty, you're not the judge....that indo guy is. she's guilty, that's all there is to it. she shouldn't get the death penalty, and i agree with that, but the punishment has fit the crime.

and plus, the bali bombers didn't 5 years, their allies did.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
No history of prior drug involvement?????

Her father is one of the biggest dealers on the Eastern Seaboard - several people I know work in the Sydney Law firm that represents him.....

santaslayer

HSC
addymac said:
No history of prior drug involvement?????

Her father is one of the biggest dealers on the Eastern Seaboard - several people I know work in the Sydney Law firm that represents him.....
So what has that got to do with her and drugs? :p

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
lil_dudette said:
but what i dont get is corby has drug offences for 20 years but bali bombers for no more than 5 years
This is a common misconception. The three indonesians who have actually been convicted of the Bali Bombing ('02) are on death row.

The guy who recieved two years, who i'm assuming you are reffering to is Abu Bakar Bashir, the accused mastermind, 'accused' being the operative word. Bashir has not been convicted of materminding the Bali Bombing. Accused, yes, guilty maybe, but not convicted in a court.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)