Correct from mistake? (1 Viewer)

joshuajspence

HSC
Hey everyone,

Is there such a thing as correct from mistake (c.f.m.) marks in this HSC? Or is this something my school made up because we suck at maths :p

If there is such a thing... how does it work?

I'm looking at a raw mark beween 89 and 104. The wide range is due to the fact that I can't remember my answers for every question and I'm not entirely sure on some of my proofs, and I'm not sure if c.f.m. marks can be awarded. Does anyone have idea idea what this mark will scale to (lets say 94/120)

Cheers

HSC
Depends what you mean by that.

I've been told that if you miscopy the question or make some kind of a mistake and continue on, the markers have to assume that you are doing it right, and continue awarding marks for the process.

But note, that this applies only and only if the mistake has not made the question fundamentally easier.

joshuajspence

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
Depends what you mean by that.

I've been told that if you miscopy the question or make some kind of a mistake and continue on, the markers have to assume that you are doing it right, and continue awarding marks for the process.

But note, that this applies only and only if the mistake has not made the question fundamentally easier.
Ok.. one example.

In one of the volume questions, I accidentally integrated lnx to become xlnx - 1 instead of xlnx - x

Following from this I got the right answer (for my method) however not the correct answer by the solutions.

This question is out of 4 so how many marks can I expect?

cowfer

HSC
joshuajspence said:
Ok.. one example.

In one of the volume questions, I accidentally integrated lnx to become xlnx - 1 instead of xlnx - x

Following from this I got the right answer (for my method) however not the correct answer by the solutions.

This question is out of 4 so how many marks can I expect?
3. Obviously it would be extremely tight of them not to give you marks from the point you made the error onwards. They are not looking for ways to take marks away from you but rather where they can give you marks.

And forget about it, don't you have other exams??

fishy89sg

HSC
joshuajspence said:
It would be the same thing. My school just called it correct from mistake
as far as i know, CFPA is employed when theres like i) and ii) to a question and u get i) wrong, and use it in your calculations for ii) you get full marks for ii)

joshuajspence

HSC
fishy89sg said:
as far as i know, CFPA is employed when theres like i) and ii) to a question and u get i) wrong, and use it in your calculations for ii) you get full marks for ii)
surely you can't get full marks if you don't get the right answer. I thought'd you get the first part (part i) wrong and lose 1 mark in part ii

Just guessing tho

fishy89sg

HSC
joshuajspence said:
surely you can't get full marks if you don't get the right answer. I thought'd you get the first part (part i) wrong and lose 1 mark in part ii

Just guessing tho
but thats slack - being penalised for something you did wrong in i) twice

lets just say the answer was 20 for i) and u got 40

then u used '40' for your calculations for ii) question, i thought you get 0/1 for part i) and 2/2 for part ii)

G

gaoOO

joshuajspence said:

Just guessing tho
you definitely can get full marks for part ii) if you made an error in part i) which hasn't made the question easier. In fact, i think if you make an error in i) the question usually becomes much harder.

the only reason you might not get full marks would be because
1) the answer was given in i) and you couldn't prove it and then used your wrong answer instead of the given. Hopefully no one is stupid enough to do that
2) you've managed to make the question drastically easier from integration by parts to say, the integral of a where a is a constant or something like that.

i've seen various notations include CFPE, CFPA and MC

joshuajspence

HSC
fishy89sg said:
but thats slack - being penalised for something you did wrong in i) twice

lets just say the answer was 20 for i) and u got 40

then u used '40' for your calculations for ii) question, i thought you get 0/1 for part i) and 2/2 for part ii)
i agree that it's slack... but i just don't think if you get the wrong answer you can ever get full marks for a question.. its slack to the people who actually get the right answer.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
joshuajspence said:
i agree that it's slack... but i just don't think if you get the wrong answer you can ever get full marks for a question.. its slack to the people who actually get the right answer.
You don't, you've dropped the mark in the first part, hence they have been penalised for their mistake. Hence they will get less marks in total than the person who has done everything correctly and have gotten the right answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)