could I trouble you for an opinion? =) (1 Viewer)

Korobushka

HSC
In regard to the style of our stories, what are we all trying to write? Are you trying to knock over the judge with a highly philosophical piece? Or tell a simple but effective story?

I'm interested because i'm unsure as to what kind of short story I should write. I want to write something that i'm interested in and am good at writing, but I feel that my concept is too boring and won't be thought highly of. And seeing as i'm an Ext.2 student, perhaps I should be trying show my flare and impress the markers. Just reading a handful of last years entries, it seems my writing might not. Should I risk writing in the style and genre I want to and am half decent at (3rd person/crime/spy/action), or try writing something entirely different?

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
isn't it always best to do what ur best at since it's the best you can do and ur the best ._." ( xD~ )

illodous

Angels...
HSC
Korobushka said:
In regard to the style of our stories, what are we all trying to write? Are you trying to knock over the judge with a highly philosophical piece? Or tell a simple but effective story?

I'm interested because i'm unsure as to what kind of short story I should write. I want to write something that i'm interested in and am good at writing, but I feel that my concept is too boring and won't be thought highly of. And seeing as i'm an Ext.2 student, perhaps I should be trying show my flare and impress the markers. Just reading a handful of last years entries, it seems my writing might not. Should I risk writing in the style and genre I want to and am half decent at (3rd person/crime/spy/action), or try writing something entirely different?
You could easily write to impress the markers -- we all could have. And it is rumoured that the BoS favour post-modernism. But keep in mind that we write, compose, create; the best where our heart lies. The advice I give is to stick to your own style of writing and choice of genre, and use Year 12 as a year of self-growth and development. After all, your at school for your own benefit, not to appeal to an "audience" despite what the syllabus says. I think that the "boring" writings are those which conform. Create what you feel like expressing, and don't feel that you have to impress anybody.

Oh, and btw.. it's not troubling me that i'm GIVING my opinion, it's trouble having to read it :D

EDIT: Don't trouble yourself too much at this stage with the word limit. Just write. When it comes a bit later in the year, and your story is nearing completion, that is when you start the process of refining - to read and reread your story over and over to make sure that it is saying and expressing what you want it to. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Korobushka

HSC
illodous said:
You could easily write to impress the markers -- we all could have. And it is rumoured that the BoS favour post-modernism. But keep in mind that we write, compose, create; the best where our heart lies. The advice I give is to stick to your own style of writing and choice of genre, and use Year 12 as a year of self-growth and development. After all, your at school for your own benefit, not to appeal to an "audience" despite what the syllabus says. I think that the "boring" writings are those which conform. Create what you feel like expressing, and don't feel that you have to impress anybody.

Oh, and btw.. it's not troubling me that i'm GIVING my opinion, it's trouble having to read it :D

EDIT: Don't trouble yourself too much at this stage with the word limit. Just write. When it comes a bit later in the year, and your story is nearing completion, that is when you start the process of refining - to read and reread your story over and over to make sure that it is saying and expressing what you want it to. Hope this helps!
It does, thanks very much =)

J

jhakka

If you want to write a story, write a bloody story. I'm sick of pretentious Ext 2 students writing a whole bunch of crap just to get marks.

I'm all for a simple story. Just research it. :)

dave28

HSC
agreeing with Jhakka...
isn't the whole point of doing english extension 2 to write something we're proud of & something that connects personally with us? if we just go for marks, sure we may get them, but in the end you're only cheating yourself...

Alimoe_KG

HSC
dave28 said:
agreeing with Jhakka...
isn't the whole point of doing english extension 2 to write something we're proud of & something that connects personally with us? if we just go for marks, sure we may get them, but in the end you're only cheating yourself...
It's all very well to "connect personally" and be proud of what we've done and all but in the end, that's just idealistic crap we use to comfort ourselves with when we get shitty marks. If you fail your damn course, no matter how much you connect with yourself, you're gonna be pissed off and wanting to shoot someone, includign yourself. In the end, the HSC is about getting as much marks as u can and that's what you should be doing.

BUT before Jhakka and Dave28 and everyone else kills me, i would like to say i don't completely disagree with you people :D. I think it is still important to do a topic we enjoy. Obviously, if we write about something we don't like, we're not gonna feel compelled to research and write the damn thing, wouldn't enjoy the course and would feel the need to shoot someone anyway. YET, if u KNOW the markers aren't gonna be impressed by it, then seriously, i don't know why the hell you would continue with it no matter how good you feel about it. If you wanted to write something simply for your own enjoyement, so you can connect with yourself creatively, and be proud that you wrote 30-40 pages of a kickass story, do that in your free time. A HSC course is not supposed to be your personal yoga session.

SO! after my incoherent rambling. I propose that Korobushka NOT ditch his idea, but make sure he does do something with it that's unique and will impress the marker. 3rd person/spy/action....yes it does sound pedesterian. But it's the topic/genre area that's pedestrian. Who said you can't do something unique with it? Subvert the genre...explore rarely explored aspects of the genre. Have a quirky plot that may not be what the marker expects from such a genre... I mean...in the end, everything we write has been done before and will sound pretentious. So the only thing you can do is make sure you have an unique pretensiousness :p

.....okay i have finished rambling.....i'm ready to get bashed now >.<

Abbeygale

HSC
I'm going to agree with Airness. If I want to write a story, I'll do it on my own time. But Extension 2 is a HSC course that hopefully will contribute to my UAI. I need high marks, so I'm more than happy to jump through the hoops that the markers present me with, just like I would with any other subject.

J

jhakka

Airness: That's all fair, HOWEVER most of the crap that people write to get marks does not make them sound intelligent in the least and is not doing anyone, including themselves, any favours. Do you think that just because you've used big words and attempted to be satirical that the marker will automatically think "Wow, this guy/girl is right up there with Shakespeare?" I mean, there are idiot teachers who probably would, but you get the idea.

And I suppose my idea is a bit biased, and yes I did get a shitty mark, but what can you do? A lot of it will depends on who marks what you wrote rather than exactly what you wrote. Everything you write in this course is a gamble and is based on the views, likes and dislikes of whoever marks it.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
jhakka said:
A lot of it will depends on who marks what you wrote rather than exactly what you wrote. Everything you write in this course is a gamble and is based on the views, likes and dislikes of whoever marks it.
VERY TRUE! ^^ My fortune is very much hinged on who marks it =) although i'm gonna try and please both sides ^^. But my teacher told me most teacher's are pretti open minded so it should be okai.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
how would u execute a short story on sophisticated philosophical views unless it was a satire with very effective subliminals. If your looking for that type of thing I suggest a different medium.. perhaps critical response. But I would gladly read anyones short story, after we've submitted our works to the BOS ofcourse. I would really love to see such talent.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
nick1048 said:
how would u execute a short story on sophisticated philosophical views unless it was a satire with very effective subliminals. If your looking for that type of thing I suggest a different medium.. perhaps critical response. But I would gladly read anyones short story, after we've submitted our works to the BOS ofcourse. I would really love to see such talent.
Satire is not the be all and end all of philosophical, or for that matter "sophisticated" writing. It is in the tradition of western angst, and it was particularly glorified during the 19th century. Subliminal meanings are also effectively conveyed through semiotic writing - in which symbolism (in its' many forms) is used to convey meaning. Other related methods (to name a few) include Dadaism and Absurdism. These are all "conceptual" forms of literature. Linear narrative and Demotic literature can be as equally sophisticated. Subtle satire is not the only way to convey sophisticated ideas; it should not be treated as the literary bees-knees. Not everyone writes satire, and that does not make them any less of a talent.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Korobushka said:

i think you should write what you like and what you know. thats what i'm doing (i'm doing a fantasy story, cos i love fantasy)...
i think you should write what you like, give it a go!

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Airness said:
It's all very well to "connect personally" and be proud of what we've done and all but in the end, that's just idealistic crap we use to comfort ourselves with when we get shitty marks. If you fail your damn course, no matter how much you connect with yourself, you're gonna be pissed off and wanting to shoot someone, includign yourself. In the end, the HSC is about getting as much marks as u can and that's what you should be doing.

BUT before Jhakka and Dave28 and everyone else kills me, i would like to say i don't completely disagree with you people :D. I think it is still important to do a topic we enjoy. Obviously, if we write about something we don't like, we're not gonna feel compelled to research and write the damn thing, wouldn't enjoy the course and would feel the need to shoot someone anyway. YET, if u KNOW the markers aren't gonna be impressed by it, then seriously, i don't know why the hell you would continue with it no matter how good you feel about it. If you wanted to write something simply for your own enjoyement, so you can connect with yourself creatively, and be proud that you wrote 30-40 pages of a kickass story, do that in your free time. A HSC course is not supposed to be your personal yoga session.

SO! after my incoherent rambling. I propose that Korobushka NOT ditch his idea, but make sure he does do something with it that's unique and will impress the marker. 3rd person/spy/action....yes it does sound pedesterian. But it's the topic/genre area that's pedestrian. Who said you can't do something unique with it? Subvert the genre...explore rarely explored aspects of the genre. Have a quirky plot that may not be what the marker expects from such a genre... I mean...in the end, everything we write has been done before and will sound pretentious. So the only thing you can do is make sure you have an unique pretensiousness :p

.....okay i have finished rambling.....i'm ready to get bashed now >.<

i agree with you partly but if you don't like what your researching and writing then you probably won't do as good a job as when you like what you're doing.
it depends on you. only you can make the decision for yourself.
SMILE!

Wolverine

HSC
Honestly i would say stick to what you are good at writing... I, myself also do extension 2 english and im doing a crime/horror story because i enjoy that style of writing and i would say that by sticking to what you are good at you will get the best marks possible. If you try a style you arnt so comfortable with you may completely bomb out..

HSC
I'm sort of having the same problem. My story is WW2/The eastern front, and I'm enjoying it, and the research as its kind of a tribute to a family member, but I am worried its not, (sorry) 'pretentious' enough. Judging by the showcase, what I need to get high marks is a baffling story consisting of random observations thinly connected that are boring to read, but clever to write. Just my opinion of course ;) Anyway, should I be going for something other than straightfoward, 1st person narration?

Personally, I am doing ext2 because I love english, and I want a band E4

Emph

HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
Personally, I am doing ext2 because I love english, and I want a band E4
Which is your priority... band 4 or love of english?

If it is band 4, then attempt the "baffling story consisting of random observations thinly connected that are boring to read" and just hope you don't screw it up by trying too hard.

If it is your love of english that means the most to you then forget about the band 4 and write what you WANT to write.

Is your personal satisfaction going to come from writing a story that you feel immensely proud of no matter what anybody else will say, or an E4 HSC number? Which are you more likely to show your grandchildren? (excuse the cliche!)

HSC
N/A
Be very, very careful when you think about "aiming" to be pretentious-like.

Because if in the event you screw up or don't pull it off (and this happens the majority of the time) you will look like a pretentious try-hard who was trying to look like someone they're not. It IS possible to get a band 4 without doing highly complex postmodernism 'stuff'.

My advice for Elendil is that if you are not 100% sure of exactly how to write the sort of story that is in showcase (please bear in mind that showcase does not always show all the top works, just the ones it may wish to publish), then don't do it. It just doesn't make sense in my head to want to emulate a particular style just for the marks... because if you aren't totally familiar with the style, you're likely to miss out on important aspects and screw yourself over because of this :S

renton

HSC
i say the minute ext 2 eng becomes an exercise in vanity, as in im just going to go off in my room for the weekend and romanticise, its important to remember that after all, this is the HSC, its just another subject. definately do what you want to do, cos if you don't it will be shit, but make a compromise with yourself, and manipulate your interests into something that will bump u up to top band. maybe add a postmodern sensiblity or give your work a postmodern facet or level of understanding. remember you can always write the great australian novel after u graduate.

HSC
N/A
renton said:
i say the minute ext 2 eng becomes an exercise in vanity, as in im just going to go off in my room for the weekend and romanticise, its important to remember that after all, this is the HSC, its just another subject. definately do what you want to do, cos if you don't it will be shit, but make a compromise with yourself, and manipulate your interests into something that will bump u up to top band. maybe add a postmodern sensiblity or give your work a postmodern facet or level of understanding. remember you can always write the great australian novel after u graduate.
*applauds*

Repworthy. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)