Courses to do for music based occupation (1 Viewer)

cate_7x

HSC
Hey,
I was wondering what sort of course it would be wise to do if I were considering to go into music production or music management. I currently have no bloody idea what course I should do.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Are you serious?

Don't you think you should have bee researching this kind of stuff a long time ago?

in reply to your question - I have no idea. Have a look through the UAC Guide, then get additional info from the uni's online handbooks.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
If you are looking for Music Management or Production, University music probably isn't for you. You'd be better off looking at TAFE - Ultimo has a Music Management course which is only 6 months. Many TAFE's also do Events Management courses.

These courses don't focus so much on the music though as opposed to the Music Industry and how to go about in it. If you are looking for a course based more in music, the Australian Institute of Music has well regarded Contemporary Music Degrees - be warned though, that it is a private college and the fees are high. In addition, enrollments for this year have already been done, so you would be best off having a good look at TAFE.

EDIT: Bachelor of Music (Musicology) as Komaticom mentioned above would not be a viable option for you either - unless of course you did 3 Unit Music in the Musicology Elective. However, you sound like you are looking more at becoming a Sound Technician or Manager, so TAFE would still be your best option.

Have a look at this link
and this link for more information. Good Luck!!

Last edited:

somecooldude

HSC
what abt conservatoruim of music? or is that only for ppl who play violins, piano, etc? not sure..

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
SCM offers a number of Graduate courses in Sound Production. It's generally desired that music managers have at least some background in music, which is why most tertiary-level music management courses are either at Graduate level, or offered by private colleges for far more than they're worth. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to either have a Business degree, or a Music degree - or at least a degree with either as a component.

JMC Academy and AIM offer sound production (electronic music, sound recording etc.) at Bachelor level, and are considered reasonably good courses. If your marks and your music skills allow it, the University of Western Sydney has a very good electronic music department.

audioguy

HSC
Personally i'd suggest getting a look at SAE College...
I'm studying there now doing the degree part which is pretty practical but i think they're starting some music business course soon too.. might be worth looking at... http://www.saebyronbay.com

nic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)