Credit transfer from Mq to USyd comm/law (1 Viewer)

gizdonk2

HSC
My credit transfer application only gave me credit for Foundations of law and Principles of management as the USyd law foundations unit and the second as an elective unit.

Should I appeal the rejection of contracts, criminal justice, law lawyers and society, accounting and society, and Finance 1A? This means another year at uni :/

What are some grounds for appeal or other options?

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Yes, you should campaign. Like Zoinked said, you have nothing to lose in trying.

'Strengthen' up your application by referencing textbooks, assessments, etc. Get the unit guides. Make it clear that 3 credit points at Macquarie is the exact same as 6 credit points at Usyd. Do you remember how many hours was dedicated to doing each unit? What lectures / tutorials you had to attend?

Tbh, whilst I understand universities are allowed to use their own discretion, I don't think your hard work in those units should go to waste.

gizdonk2

HSC
Well submitting the unit guide was part of the original application, which lists the textbooks, addessmemts and lectures/tutorials. Do you have any other advice?

theboo

HSC
hi i just wanted to ask what was your WAM or entry requirement if you dont mind? i wanna transfer and need some advice

mayorjurko

HSC
I also wondered for a long time about this question, is it possible to do a loan transfer?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa said:
Hi

Say next year I go to uow for eco & finance/law but then wish to transfer to uts or unsw for example, for the same degree. - after however long it is?

How do credit transfers and all that work? Would the credits I did in the year I spent at uow go towards completion of degree at those unis aforementioned. I have heard it usyd doesn't do credit transfer from uow, or something like that.

My main worry is that I would have completed first year uni at uow so would be in second year but since I transferred, I would be back doing basically the same classes (first year) but at another uni instead of doing second year classes - essentially wasting a year. Would I be put into this situation?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
If you wish to have your university results considered in assessing your application to transfer, you must study a minimum of one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) in your chosen program at UoW. If you choose to initiate a transfer prior to this, your ATAR is the only element that will be considered.

Essentially, all universities recognise studies that students have undertaken at other institutions. The extent to which each individual university does is the factor that changes, and is dependent on how closely subjects studied at the initial institution match or are similar to equivalent/relevant subjects at the institution that the student wishes to transfer to. In such a case, this means that USyd would consider credit transfer from UoW (and other universities for that matter) where appropriate, although it would be reasonable to suggest that, for example, a credit transfer from UNSW to USyd (and vice versa) would be easier given that Go8 universities facilitate the transfer of credit earned at their institutions.

While your progress may be undermined, it is unlikely that transferring to another university implies that you will be required to start your new program from the very beginning. This is especially the case with respect to the Bachelor of Laws, the content of which does not vary significantly between universities as far as I am aware.

I hope this helps! :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok thank you that makes sense.

Going by that, it would be easier to transfer from UoW to UTS as they both aren’t Go8 universities?
No worries. If you meant that credit transfer would be easier between UoW and UTS, then that is a possibility, although the fact that neither UoW nor UTS are Go8 universities does not solely suggest that this will definitely be the case. The primary consideration here is the extent to which the equivalent program at the university that you wish to transfer to (for instance, UTS) is similar to the program that you have partially completed at the university that you initially attended (in this case, UoW). This means that, if there is a substantial similarity between the subjects of the programs in question offered at both UoW and UTS, it is likely that, at the very least, UTS would recognise most of the studies that you have undertaken at UoW.

In order to gain an understanding of the manner in which this may potentially unfold, it would be a good idea to have a look at the handbook for the universities that you are interested in attending. This will enable you to observe the subjects that are part of the programs that each university offers, including whether they differ significantly in terms of content:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)