Crime Fiction: Text usage (1 Viewer)

Jellymonsta

I'm just curious who is actually planning on using The Big Sleep in the exam.
I do BS, RIH and SFOC, and BS feels much harder to adapt to questions that aren't just straight out convention/value q's. my teacher agreed with me that as a text it is not as flexible for the HSC... does anyone plan on using it?

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Of course it depends on the question, but i think its a good one to use as it adhears to conventions so well (so does SBTS, but its just plain silly and i am NOT using it) and also as a representation of the time (the BoS loves context stuff) because of the way it was changed from Chandlers book, like how they cut out nudity, homosexuality and out in the romance crap.
SFOC is my favourite and the most adaptable i think, but 'the real' is good to.

Jellymonsta

Yeah... i originally despised SFOC, but it is good now. and i love RIH. BS is a decent source, but i think it has strange bedfellows, because it is so clearly classifiable in genre; it can be restrictive to talk about it in some q's because of that, whereas SFOC and RIH have other focuses u can talk about... but that makes me wonder if everyone is going to avoid using BS if it is a curly question.

Jellymonsta

yeah. i hope it is only 2 proscribed texts, because if i had to talk about all 3 texts in depth (i think they want indepth analysis of all the texts you use, basically) it limits how far i can go with my own sources.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
I dont know about 'indepth analysis' becuase we arent really studying SFOC, SBTS, TRIH or BS, we are studying genre. We are studying crime fiction as an example of genre and in turn we are studying the texts as an example of crime fiction.
So i think we would be more likley to be asked something about how the genre changes etc.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
I'm pretty sure we got told that they will only ever ask you to write about two prescribed texts

And they won't ask about a specific text. At least I hope not because we haven't done the real inspector hound. As in we completly missed out on the topic in class, even though it seems like a good text to discuss crime fiction in its context.

Jellymonsta

Originally posted by user
I'm pretty sure we got told that they will only ever ask you to write about two prescribed texts

And they won't ask about a specific text. At least I hope not because we haven't done the real inspector hound. As in we completly missed out on the topic in class, even though it seems like a good text to discuss crime fiction in its context.
Yeah i was told that. But then i read last years exam, and it says at least two... which means they would like more than two.
i wasnt happy when i saw that. but im only doing two anyway (i got a lot of related material)

Milly

Our english teacher said that if it says "at least two" you should do only two, and stick to doing more supplementary texts, to show that you have been reading widely and can analyse stuff for yourself bla bla bla...

Jellymonsta

heheh. my teacher said if they wanted two, theyd say "two"... not "at least two". its probably going to boil down to a matter of opinion among the markers (though i guess it would hardly matter anyway)

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
If you did 3, you wouldn't be covering the prescribed texts in enough detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)