Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

TimmyDD

HSC
Hey guys, wat'd you all think of the crime fiction elective???

know_it_all

honestly, i hated it
that picture did absolutely nothing for me
but of even more concern was my essay... i had no thesis
n found it fairly hard to relate it to that thought thing

TimmyDD

HSC
i agree. I found the essay question EXTREMELY random. but what can you do i guess? I dont think many ppl will do all that well with it...

nik101

totally agree with you guys, the picture was so random and the essay was just plain crap, and everyone i spoke 2 thought it was horrible, if that cheers u up any?

taxman

make poverty
HSC
With the essay I quoted the last line which was something like..."nobody can stop me, not even you." And wrote about how it was the voice of evil making a challenge and that the detective will answer the call, and then wrote about cosy school detectives and hard-boiled detectives answering the call differently with reference to my texts.

What were everyones related texts? Mine were Stiff by Shane Maloney and Past Mortem by Ben Elton. Two hard-boiled texts which isn't cool for comparing the two schools...I would recommend to not do that, becuase my response on the 'cosy' school was far too short.

Madstar

It was awful! i was hoping to go in there and get everything down and feel good at the end of it! its the end of english!!! do you think because it was so crap it'll get scaled well?

lucy murtha

i thought it was ridiculous, i had nothing for that picture, and i still dont know what the essay question was asking, i crapped on about the actual crime not being the only factor in crime fiction?????

al_x

short*
HSC
the essay wasnt too bad. my thesis was without a formula there can be no story, and with no story there can be no crime fiction then i just b/s my way through the whole thing. the picture was crap, and i was praying that it wouldnt be a short story because im really bad and CF short stories so im not happy about that. but if everyone thinks its crap well thats ok then
my 2 RM were "The Lion's Mane" Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and "The Bone Collector" (film not book)

know_it_all

i developed no thesis at all... like ?
i b/s the whole way til my last lines were basically saying
the text was an invitation into a seemingly impossible challenge, thus lies the appeal of CF
so crap

i used gosford park and the da vinci code

Last edited by a moderator:

ishq

brown?
HSC
Mine was about how the text is more than just conventions - motives, crimes, solutions are just the framework for a MESSAAGE (*collective ooooooh*). And my texts fit okay (TBS, Anil's Ghost, Murder By Death, Gone Fishing). But, fuck, it was random! I'm sooo not sure about it.

And imaginative - i kinda sorta pushed and pulled and moulded and squished and VIOLA! i had a lady emerging from a car crash.

This was sooo not good :(

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Managed to fit my prepared story into the question *dance* Key word was 'significant event'. If I had to base the whole thing around it I would have been stuffed, but as it was I was sorted :D

As for the essay, I found it tricky, but I think I managed to work the provided text into my essay well. My link with class conflict was tenuous at best, though :p What a left-field question, though. Don't think they've ever done something like that before.

houlcroft

Houlcroft
HSC
Man oh Man, I absolutely loved the fact that it was a narrative! I had to reworrk my narrative to fit the picture, byt that wasn't too hard but i absolutely died on the analytical. I apologised twice to the markers, i had nothing and wanked on for agaes about nothing. Very upset, but no time for that Ancient tomorrow, oh sweet mother that's goiung to be so much worse!

The texts i used were Calvin & Hobbes (With Tracer Bullet), Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Chinatown

Last edited:
HSC
the essay was completely weird... i didnt like the quote. even the smartest person in my school was thrown by it! but oh well i just hada go, im over getin worried bout it heheh! and that pic luckily fitted perfectly for my story! i was pretty stoked with that... i feel sorry for those who hada prepared story and couldnt apply it to that fucked up pic tho! :(

Luke515

HSC
Oh, it was terrible! The trial was so much better. Both the questions sucked. think i managed to fit my prepared story into that damn picture, though.
essay question was balls...my entire essay was practically, "well, the statement failed to take THIS into account..." then talk about ideas n stuff.
Glad it didn't make us talk about anil's ghost. worst. book. ever. am i right, folks???
my texts were murders in the rue morgue by poe and a sherlock holmes

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Oh, and I used 'The Adventure of the Speckled Band' by Doyle, and a selection of modern crime fiction works - Postmortem, Death du Jour, and Roses are Red.

senzazn

asian mo-fo
HSC
N/A
would you loose marks if u only did one related text although u mentioned a whole bunch of thers along the way to compare and comtrast???

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
I love how this thread is growing by the second :D

Hey, it's Luke. Thought I might see you round here...and yes, Anil's Ghost is fucking terrible. :p

EDIT:
would you loose marks if u only did one related text although u mentioned a whole bunch of thers along the way to compare and comtrast???
If you haven't covered two related texts in some detail ie. actually analysing the texts rather than just mentioning them, then yes. You will lose marks. But probably not as many as you would have without the whole mentioning thing.

Last edited:

OutOfOrder

HSC
I LOVED the picture, easily fit into my story that i did for trials etc.
The essay im pretty bummed about, i wrote the most confusing piece of crap i've ever written, basically i didn't answer the question at all (not even sure what it was really asking) and just talked generically about the texts themselves.

Oh and i used Sin City and Murder by Death

Last edited:

hornbag_tom

in a mundane reality where losers constantly piss
HSC
i thought the essay question was alright, somewhat difficult to evaluate and link to the genre effectively, however it did mention a lot of conventions of the genre such as crime, clues and hinted on denouement etc, so that part was easy to evaluate i think...

the stimulus picture for creative writing i think was good, i used it as evidence but my whole story was kind of an allegory for justice as the clues were pieces of boardgames and the perpetrator was convinced that he was winning the game, when in fact my hero/slueth saved the day, restored order and thus won the game. meh, cant explain really...the picture itself was used as symbolism for las vegas (the girl in the white dress symbolised marriage, and the burning inferno represented the bright lights of vegas - shit link) and the faces of the victim were the faces of the woman in the stimulus picture...

oh well over now, i'd say it was overall ok, but the essay question was really broad so you could have basically incorporated anything you said...good luck aye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)