CSSA 2002 issues (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
Hi ppls,

Just doing the CSSA 2002 paper, and theres a number of stuff that I was really unaware of. Has there been a major change in the syllabus or something? Or perhaps the qs are just very very unusual~

I'm referring to q17, q18 (can they ask that specific?), q19 (wtf?!), q24 (wtf?!), q25 (nitrates?) ...

Thanks, I've attached the paper
Btw, can someone explain q23 too? Where the 40 comes from (I'll attach answers)

edit: having some probs uploading, ill link to it (its on this site)
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/science/chemistry/2002_Chemistry_T_Trial_CSSA.pdf
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/science/chemistry/2002_Chemistry_T_TrialSolutions_CSSA.pdf

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
they changed the syllabus in 2002, October - so we've really only got two HSC papers to work with :/
yeah I was like wtf too. The modelling question I remember seeing in the outcomes thing but I don't think they would ask a question on it. It's sulfate not nitrate...I suggest you dl the syllabus from BOS and check against that; if it's not there it can't be examined.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Umm..

Q17: looks resonable, it's not asking you about cellulose, it's asking you about the hazards and what you would do to minimise that hazard. (hint: H2SO4 is used)

Q18: they are not asking for specific, they're asking about beta emitters are produced.

Q19: that looks kind of biology... I can't put my finger on whether I came across this in the syllabus or not before. Personally, this question is stupid, even the HSC is not stupid enough to include a question like this.

Q24: lol :p CSSA writers must have been really desparate that year

Q25: *scratch head* all nitrates (in the HSC course) are soluble... I don't recall doing a nitrogen content prac :(

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Sorry.. I didn't see the second part of your post:

Q23: Alright, in 25mL the diluted sample you get, say, n mols of aspirin. So, working backwards, in the 100mL (before you divided the solution into 4 parts) you have n x 4 moles of aspirin. Now, because you have only taken 10mL of the original solution, n x 4 tells you how many moles of aspiring is that 10mL of solution - so in order ot get the original amount of aspirin you must multiply that by 10.

The calculations summarise to n x 4 x 10 -----> hence n x 40

stargaze

HSC
Hmm icic, thats understandable :)

Ahh thanks mitochrondia.. You really have all the answers dont u? haha, should be chem mod !

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
O_____o...

I would if they give me free chocolate :p

Bed time for me ;) You should sleep early during the HSC too ^^ G'night!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)