CSU - On Campus/Off Campus? (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

Hello people

I'm hoping to get into CSU Bathurst next year, and if I go I'm undecided as to whether I should move on campus for a year, or just rent in Bathurst.
I'm only about 2 hours from Bathurst as it is, and I know some people at CSU who rent in town and just go home on weekends.

What I'm asking I guess is if anybody lives on campus, do yo reccomend it? Apart from the copious amounts of alcohol consumed, is it a good atmosphere, plenty to do, etc?

Thanks for any replies.

bex

HSC
i lived on campus for the duration of my course and i thoroughly recommend it. most people dont stay the whole time and to tell you the truth i was going a bit stir crazy this year. But in first year its the place to be! ill tell you about towers because thats where i was but different people on this forum are from different colleges around campus....

towers is insane. its the noisiest, ugliest, and smallest place to live on campus. its closest to dining hall, the bar and furtherst from classrooms.. need i say more!?

our rooms were tiny yet sufficient- desk and chair, bed and shelves and drawers and wardrobe. but the part of towers that makes it what it is are the people. when you move into a towers dorm, there are 30 instant friends and most of them first year so you go through a lot of new experiences together. towers imo is the most social of all the residences... not the only social one but the most outrageous..

we have awesome stuff like parties in between the 2 buildings for returners night, bruce ball (a daytime piss up) lots of cricket games and sing alongs on the balcony. in summer everyone is outside, the music is playing and its just a great place to be. ... there is always someone to talk to, to listen to, to drink with or to go crazy with..

the other residences are social too.. some more so than others so it really depends on what youre after. however towers isnt for everyone. if you enjoy your own space, value early nights or like to eat healthily then stay away from catered accomodation!!!

i thoroughly recommend living on campus, even if its just for 1st semester 1st year..

K

katie_tully

the towers = the rabbit warren? haha yeah ive seen inside them.
sounds cool, i wonder what state my liver will be in after 4 years.

bex

HSC
yep towers- the rabbit warren/ gaol/ getto!
im asking myself the same question right now.... although most people only stay for 1st and 2nd yr..

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
ill tell you here and now that on campus accomodation is unreal.
its been the best 6 odd months of my life to date
do yourself a favour and move on campus, dont rent off campus

K

katie_tully

AtticusFinch said:
ill tell you here and now that on campus accomodation is unreal.
its been the best 6 odd months of my life to date
do yourself a favour and move on campus, dont rent off campus
I was asking about CSU Campus's, I'm going for the more practical approach, not the I want to get pissed all day long approach. Ta anyway. :rolleyes:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
MTG was pretty good, moved off though - it's alot cheaper downtown and the getting pissed every night with 9am classes the next morning got a bit tiring :p I'd reccommend for the first 6 months though, o week is awesome on campus.

Aye bex, is it true that the SES have said towers will close down in a couple of years because heath is sinking and cottrell is falling (or the ither way around..?) and the structure itself is a disaster waiting to happen? LOL, that was the rumour circulating MTG last sem :p

bex

HSC
katie_tully said:
I was asking about CSU Campus's, I'm going for the more practical approach, not the I want to get pissed all day long approach. Ta anyway. :rolleyes:

if youre after that sorta thing.. try diggings or windradyne

not so sure about the element of truth in those rumours.. however i think someone said that the buildings were built on a creek bed and one is sinking and the other is twisting... word is that the uni is going to build new accomodation in between towers and W9 on that patch of grass that presently serves as a carpark..

whatever the outcome, when towers goes down, a billion memories will go down with it

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yeah, I didn't even live there and it would be sad to see such a landmark go. It is such a big part of the Uni.

And Katie, Windradyne sucks, go Diggings :)

William_Lawry

NSW Police
HSC
N/A
i have a mate in windradyne, diggings and JOX... and my ex lives at MTG.... i was out there on thursday night, thinking of transfering out there....

K

katie_tully

I'd go catered. It'd work out to be cheaper in the long wrong. Plus I'm lazy.

meg88

HSC
Help

ive been accepted through PREP for bachelor of nursing at bathurst for 2006 which im soooo happy about !!! i live one and a half hours from bathurst would i be better off staying on campus or traveling to bathurst each day ??? any thoughts?????
How many hours a day are classes held for? and are classes held every week day?

Fro

HSC
Congratulations!
Classes go for either 50 minutes or an hour and 50 minuters... basically one or two hours...
Travelling to and from each day might be a bit hard... ive never done it myself but i know people who have and they have to work their classes around it and have days with heaps of classes an then days with one in the morning and a 4 hour break till the next...
its up to you
id highly recommend on campus though... its the best atmosphere and a really good way to meet people for that first hard couple of months...
Diggings rocks... ive lived there for two years and am RA there next year so go self catered!

meg88

HSC
thanks fro
could you give me some more info on diggings.
in self catered accomodation how much do you usually pay for food each week or fortnight ? Are rooms heated? also is electricity etc included in accomodation price or do you pay extra ?

Fro

HSC
Theres a post somewhere here where i list all the pros and cons of self catered so you might wanna look for that...
but basically diggings is good if you want the option of being able to grab some time for yourself to study if you want. The accomodation is set up so that if there is a party in your block you can still get away from it if you want... depends what your dorm is like... but its really good in my opinion.
as for food - your probably looking at around 60 bucks a week for food - depends what your tastes are like i spose... ALDI will help you out and if you want you can do a good shop there for around 40 bucks...
electricity is included in accomodation and heaters in the rooms are termed on from term 2 semester 1... so like June...
Hope that helped
Good luck with it all
Fro

HSC
I lived in JOV this year, and i reckon it was awesome... hence my living there again next year.

really though, any on campus accomodation is good fun, and someone mentioned something about o-week on campus... best time ever. my girlfriend is an RA next year, and i'm gonna go and stay with her just so i can experience it again.

my choice = JOV, but then again, i didnt really experience diggins or MTG at all, and my towers visits were mainly for group meeting, which are bound to make wherever you are feel like hell on earth.

see you next year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)