Cumberland Campus (Health and Sciences) (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
Hi there,

Could anyone who goes to the USYD Cumbo campus enlighten me on how its like? I've always liked the idea of going to the main USYD campus, admittedly cos its in a nice location in the city + is a good looking building haha. But I'll most likely be doing Physiotherapy (Applied Science Phys) next year, so yeh, gotta be at cumbo.

So please, any comments about the place would be greatly appreciated.

thanks~

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
Its small but not ultra small. Getting around campus is not going to take you 10 minutes like at main campus but more like 2-5 minutes depending where you are and which way you want to go. If you get in take a look around during enrollment day and get a feel for the place. Meeting people is pretty easy. I did it by finding people in a lecture and talking to them...now we are pretty good friends.

Food places: Bite Me - Serves variety of sandwiches, drinks, chocolate, hot food (pasta, asian, fish n chips etc)

JDV Cafe- It has a number of small sections - one section for fruit juices (ala boost) one fore having sandwiches made, one for salads, sushi, and a section for coffee etc which i think is a blessing during 8am lectures that go for 2 hours.

Book Store- No coop available instead there is a bookstore that sells txt boooks, stationary, lab coats, clinical shirts, chocolate, sweets by the kilo (like the ones they use to have at target in the cups), magazines etc. They only cater for health science books here i think. Discounts are obtained via a CSG card but no seeming VSU is in I dont know how that works this year.

At 'lunch time' aka 12-1 you can find people scattered all over the main grass area at the entrance of the campus. Wonderful views of rookwood cemetary from here. There wont be too many people out. I dont think at any one time there is more than 4000 people on campus in lectures , library etc

Um yeah there is probably more but i cant think of anymore. Probably be better off to talk to a physio student about the academic side of things.

fearless86

HSC
hey dude,

i finished first year physio at cumbo last year and i quite like it. Cumbo is cool, but its not for everyone. if you’re in love with the whole idea of main campus and meeting artsy people and getting politically involved and hanging out at Manning then it might not be for you. the campus itself is nice and pretty relaxed- no one cares if you wear ugg boots or trackies to uni. there’s a pretty big social scene with pub crawls or harbour cruises most weeks and especially cos you see your physio people every day so it doesnt take too long to get to know other people.
there’s also a noticeable lack of political activity. Like, we vaguely care about VSU and SRC elections but there’s significantly less emphasis than at main campus. and if you want to do sport or join a club then you generally have to do that at main. there’s a few religous societies and stuff but yeah...not much.

You should know that 1st yr physio can get kinda stressful cos of its a big workload. You’ll notice that almost every other uni course your friends are doing only involves 4 subjects because 7 subjects is insanity. Unfortunately you have to do 7 subjects in 1st year and a couple of those subjects have a LOT of content (like anatomy and neuroscience) so just be prepared to have to do a fair amount of work to keep up and grasp whats going on. Going to all the lectures and tuts isn’t that necessary (apart from anatomy and neuro) so you find that you can bludge a fair bit with the dodgier research subjects and skip a fair amount of uni that way

stargaze

HSC
Hmm ic ic, thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I've always found the city campus and hanging out in the city appealing. The smaller campus = get to know people better seems cool, but at the same time I've always wanted to possibly meet people that arent doing stuff similar to myself (i.e. different degrees)

Oh and yeh, that phsyio workload doesnt seem to enticing haha. I think I remember seeing a timetable for it somewhere, like 20++ hrs a week mon-fri from around 8am-5pm... argh !

dora_18

HSC
hey guys....
i got into B.Health Science...i was wondering if someone could enlighten me about the course in general...is it good etc etc...and when the heck do we get our timetables????!!!!! some of my friends doing other courses have already received theirs...and where are practical placements?..becuase as i see we have to be vaccinated against just about every disease out there....i mean is a tuberculosis scan really necessary!!!( that was a rhetorical question)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)