Curve Drawing Templates..? (1 Viewer)

CheekyPunk

HSC
I know we're allowed to have them, 'provided such templates contain no printed formulae other than equations of simple curves (such as y = x^2)'

however, the examiners did not let us (ext 2 and 2unit) takes ours into the room. I know we didnt need them, but i didnt know that at the start of the exam (appeal for uneeded stress!)

The two types that we had were and couldnt take in were the Mathomat and Mathaid.

I found on HSC online, some maths dude said that the mathaid was approved ages ago by the HSC examiners.

I know for sure that the Mathomat was allowed in other exam centres from asking my friends. Does anyone know someone who took in a mathaid (4)? The mathomat has lots and lots of useless shapes, the mathaid has a few graphs. sin, cos, tan, x^2, exponetial, and the top corner is a sine curve cut out.

Just wanna know if i can take it into the ext1 exam.

mel4dan

I took mine in, its a Mathaid 4. Its the one without stuff written all over it as I believe there are 2 versions. Probably about 5 other people also took their's in. So all those people should have been allowed. :eek:

It doesn't give a huge advantage, as you should know the stuff on there anyway, just helps with drawing the things to make it easier for the examiners to mark your work.

CheekyPunk

HSC
Thanks for replying guys. I got the mathaid with stuff written over it, but i'm pretty sure my brother used his for his exams in 2004.

Plus, i just googled and found this - the same one as mine, which apparently the site says its BOS approved... but you never know, they might just be trying to sell it haha.

Anyhow, i might email my maths coordinator some links =D haha.

edit: oh wait.. it says non-formula is approved -___- oh well... time to get out some scissors and start scratching xD

oh well, at least i know for sure i cant use it, though the mathomat people should be able to use theirs. kinda stupid though, its not like i dont know what y = x^2 looks like, its ingrained on my brain. [/whine]

Last edited:

CheekyPunk

HSC
bananasmoothy said:
I took my mathaid in - noone stopped me. It has the basic formula on it, but you should know that anyway.
P.S. The one in the picture ^ is the exact same one as mine.
*points* Cheater!!! hahaha... nah, its ridiculous. Only the people who want to do well will use them, and those people will know everything on it. Its just to save time drawing stupid graphs

Anyway, the BOS shouldnt be so vague about what is allowed. They should put names of which templates are allowed and are not.

gamecw

HSC
i took Mathomat in.. i bought it on sunday lol..

i asked the examiner if i cud use it she said 'oh... i dont know, dont ask me'

then she just walked away..

=) so i used it.. mine only has y=x^2 +sin n cos curve... no other formulea..

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
CheekyPunk said:
*points* Cheater!!! hahaha... nah, its ridiculous. Only the people who want to do well will use them, and those people will know everything on it. Its just to save time drawing stupid graphs

Anyway, the BOS shouldnt be so vague about what is allowed. They should put names of which templates are allowed and are not.
Bah... my whole maths class has one. Our teacher recommended we buy one for exams at the start of year 11... so we did. :)

mel4dan

I think some people are getting confused. There are two versions, they both have some writing on them, but the one that is allowed only has the very basic stuff - the other one has like area of a circle and that sort of thing. Maths is over now tho anyway

Affinity

HSC
It's not essential but good to have..
but it's almost never that the template has the shap for something you get marks for.

Last edited:

haque

HSC
lol-i often forget my ruler so i use my calculator edges fro the axes and straight lines

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)