dangers of atmospheric reentry (1 Viewer)

metalicarulez

hi guys i have some holiday homework and im wondering if anyone could help me with this question

"Make a list of some of the dangers of amospheric re-entry with the short explanation of each. Your list should contain at least four items."

ok all i can think of is angle of re-entry - too deep and it will burn up

and gforces - too deep = accelerate too fast = greater gforces on astronauts

i cant think of anything else... :confused:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If the angle is too shallow you'll skip off the atmosphere and back off it into space. Ill add some more when I remember them.

You really can't avoid weather on re-entry which means you have to plan when the re-entry is carefully.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
discuss issues associated with safe re-entry for a manned spacecraft into the Earths atmosphere and landing on the Earths surface.

1. Heat: The considerable kinetic and potential energy possessed by an orbiting spacecraft must be lost during re-entry. As the atmosphere decelerates the spacecraft, the energy is converted into a great deal of heat. This heat must be tolerated and/or minimised. The heat can be tolerated by using heat shields that use ablating surfaces (as used on Apollo capsules) or insulating surfaces (as used on the space shuttle). The heat can be minimised by taking longer to re-enter, thereby lengthening the time over which the energy is converted to heat. The space shuttle uses this technique.

2. g forces: The deceleration of a re-entering spacecraft also produces g forces, typically greater than those experienced during launch. High g forces can be better tolerated by reclining the astronaut, so that blood is not forced away from the brain, and by fully supporting the body. The g forces can be minimised by extending the re-entry, slowing the rate of descent. This strategy is employed by the space shuttle.

3. For a time during re-entry, there is a radio blackout caused by overheated air particles ionising as they collide with the spacecraft. This may be a safety issue if contact is needed between the spacecraft and earth at this phase of its flight.

4. Reaching the surface: Even after surviving the issues listed above, the spacecraft must touch down softly onto the surface of the Earth. Several solutions to this problem have been employed, such as first using parachutes and then splashing into ocean, or using many parachutes before crunching onto the ground, or by landing on an air strip (as performed by the space shuttle).

identify that there is an optimum angle for re-entry into the Earths atmosphere and the consequences of failing to achieve this angle.

- For any given spacecraft wishing to re-enter safely, an optimum angle of re-entry exists. For Apollo capsules this angle was between 5.2 and 7.2, although this would differ for other spacecraft.
- If the angle is too shallow then the spacecraft will rebound, due to compression of the atmosphere beneath it.
- If the angle is too steep then the spacecraft will decelerate too quickly, creating too much heat and burning up the spacecraft.

Taken from HSC - Charles Sturt University
http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/physics/core/space/9_2_2/922net.html#net23
http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Landing site:
For ocean landings the spacecraft must land near recovery vessels
For dry landings the spacecraft must land in accessible terrain and near recovery personnel...

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Also for ocean landings the vessel must be watertight
think in one of the mercury missions (1960's) the landing capsule got flooded with water and sank
fortunately the astronaut was smart enough evacuate

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
Also for ocean landings the vessel must be watertight
I think this would already be implied by the words 'space shuttle' or vessel...considering the vessel was just in space it would already be air/water tight.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
fine:rolleyes:
watertight when all the landing gears and parachutes and stuff are deployed

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
If you have the Jacaranda metalicarulez... you shouldn't have any troubles in discussing what Suvat is explaining :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)