• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

daniel model (1 Viewer)

S

s_t_a_r1234

can some please explain the whole process, i kno the cu disintegrates into cu ions and something or rather and neutralisation ? im aware of electrons unable to flow thru a broken circuit.. and so could someone articulately explain :D :)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Daniel invented the cell (Daniel cell) that had the advantage of NOT using acid solutions. Acid solutions produce toxic gases.

Instead, he used salt solutions. Different metals have different tendencies to liberate electrons when in contact. The Daniel cell uses Zinc in its ions Zn<sup>2+</sup> ( as ZnSO<sub>4</sub>) conected with Copper in its ions Cu<sup>2+</sup> ( as CuSO<sub>4</sub> ). Both solutions are separated by a porous medium, Externally, the metals are electrically bound. As the metal zinc has more tendency in loosing its electrons to copper, then Zinc will be corroded, like this :

Zn -> Zn<sup>2+</sup> + 2e<sup>-</sup>

These two electrons flow through the electric wire and reach the copper. There, the copper ions Cu<sup>2+</sup> will be attracted and deposit as metal, like this:

Cu<sup>2+</sup> + 2e<sup>-</sup> -> Cu

The voltage in this case will be 1.10 Volt theoretically. It depends on temperature, agitation, salt concentration, but it will be near 1 Volt. I have a practical written up, if you really need it, I guess I can type it up.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Neutralisation is NOT a redox reaction because there are no transfers of electrons between atoms. Also if you know about oxidation numbers, if the ON doesn't change then it's not a redox reaction, and in all neutralisation reactions the ON number is the same on both sides of equation.

N

n a + a l i e

?

neutralisation is a double displacement reaction right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)