Definitions of Physical/Inner/Imaginative Journeys (1 Viewer)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Physical

From = Jennifer =:
as quoted from the hsc syllabus:

A physical journey involves obstacles and movement to new places. They provide travellers to extend themselves physically, intellectually and emotionally as they respond to challenges and learn more about themselves and the world around them.

So, in other words physical journeys also deal with the idea of things that can affect the journey (obstacles: eg weather), what happens to the person intellectually; meaning what do they learn on the journey .....i hope this helps
and Misturi:
Moving from point A to B....thats a very very small definition that you can use if you want.

Inner

From Xayma:
An inner journey is a journey of self exploration with the ultimate goal or consquence of knowing one's self better or improving on one's self.

Imaginative

From zelda:
a good definition would be imaginary journeys takes us from the reality now and tranfers us into unreal existances or different worlds that not only entertain us, but help to learn more about the world we inhabit.
From Grey Council:
Imaginary journeys takes us from the reality now and tranfers us into unreal existances or different worlds that can only exist in our minds.
And clerisy:
I think an imaginative journey CAN challenge or explore elements of society or humanity. I don't know if it HAS to--- there are some I can think of which I can't really get much from.
Darkstar:
Imaginative journeys are all about the powers of the mind; using the imagination to create an alternate reality.
Krangelus:
Imaginative Journeys can be anything, as long as its fictional and shows some type of charachter development, because a developing charachter is taking a journey. Obviously.

So if your looking for stuff to write about, turn on the tv or think of your fave book or movie or whatever.

Journeys that change us can come not only from an individuals perception of said journey but also from the individuals relationship with society and that accepting any type of responsibilities will bring about a journey in oneself.

Last edited:

SimpaticO

Happy Man
Practically any study guide that you buy for the Area of Studies will begin with definitions and an exploration of the concept, usually giving examples also. For example, I purchased the Cambridge Study Guide for "The Journey" and it is quite useful in this field. Good luck y'all!!!!!

malkin86

HSC
You can always argue that they overlap to some extent.. ie a physical journey may include an inner journey, and so on and so forth.

Tabbs

Malkin, I would stay away from actually saying inner journey, by replacing it with words such as intellectual and emotional ( as they are parts of inner journey) because it is directly from the syllabus...
hope this helps...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah, using words from the syllabus is good in english

AGB

HSC
one aspect of the definition for imaginative journeys...

what separates imaginative journeys from other forms is that the destination is not a physical place; rather it is a state of mind

HSC
Just wondering is there ever a case where the imaginative journey does NOT involve an inner journey? Seems like those two are almost always linked together with imaginative journeys.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
well for almost all journeys, there must be an inner journey. even if you are studying physical journeys, theres no way you would not get a decent argument without discussing the effect that the journey has had on the journeyer "emotionally and intellectually" (thats from the syllabus) as well as physically.

i think the 3 are intricatley linked, whether we like it or not and in order to provided an in depth argument, you have to discuss all aspects of the journey, with specific reference to whatever you are studying

it's probably something we should note too.... ALL essays for area of study MUST begin with a definition of journeys, with a specific reference to your focus --> physical, inner or imaginative... or so we have been told by the senior markers at school.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
oh, yeah, and i kow that this is from the marker's comments for extension 1 english, but i think it probably applies for advanced as well - although you must use the language of the syllabus and the particular question rubric, its also important to make ur answer stand out by showing ur creativity - ie, while its good to use the syllabus definitions for the different forms of journeys, you also need to show that you have your own thesis that can be applied to link all your texts together

shevy

whats been getting me marks in section 3 is having my own definition that combines the syllabus rubric and my own ideas about what an imaginative journey is. I think the more personal you can make it the better-section 3 is all about engaging with the texts and by providing your own definition you show them striaght up you understand and can engage with difficult ideas on a personal level

pirate

yeah basically you need your own definition of a journey. what i've done, is have my definition but within my definiton i also state what must be in an inner journey so you can distinguish between the journey types, that's what's aided me through the process

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Imaginative journeys allow the audience to explore foreign concepts and ideas or situations which they normally would be unable to do in their physical guise.

MzbLaZeIT

im am teh seks.
HSC
physical journey (which is a point from a-to-b) can also incorporate the ideas of inner and imaginative journey also.
Physical journey - the actual journey itself from one destination to another can be more rewarding then the end desination or desired end.
eg. on the phys journey you can comply in your text a inner journey (stuff you learnt/touched/make an impact on you on your way.

Aeolior

HSC
it's probably something we should note too.... ALL essays for area of study MUST begin with a definition of journeys, with a specific reference to your focus --> physical, inner or imaginative... or so we have been told by the senior markers at school.
Hmm, I agree with that. Its really important to agree with the essay question's definition of journeys, convey how it relates back to your text, and also a really good way to integrate/combine your core text and related text together is through the journeys, so both could be about a persona who undertakes a physical journey, as well as a spiritual inner journey back into their past, or some form of pilgrimage.

piasimona

HSC
Aeolior said:
Hmm, I agree with that. Its really important to agree with the essay question's definition of journeys, convey how it relates back to your text, and also a really good way to integrate/combine your core text and related text together is through the journeys, so both could be about a persona who undertakes a physical journey, as well as a spiritual inner journey back into their past, or some form of pilgrimage.
hmmm but i dont fully agree - youshould only agree with the quote's definition if you can tie it in with your thesis.
if not, USE YOUR THESIS; that's the pointof having one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Santah

HSC
This is what I am using... got some good ideas from other BOS members :)

An inner journey is a journey of self exploration which ultimately results in knowing ones own self better. The individual undertaking the journey may expierence mental growth, spiritual enlightenment or view the world differentlly.

Don't forget to say the expierence may not always be positive :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)