• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dehydration of ethanol (1 Viewer)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Well one of the processes of obtaining ethanol from glucose is dehydration...wouldnt produce ethene...im so confused.

6. Dehydration: The alcohol will then pass through a dehydration system where the remaining water will be removed. The equation is: CH3CH2OH * C2H4 + H2O. Catalysts such as sulfuric acid, phosphoric acid or heated ceramic solids can be used to catalyse the reaction.

I added in the equation...I really don think thats right.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
This is a different dehydration. The dehydration of ethanol produces ethene, correct. That process removes one water molecule from each ethanol molecule. However, the dehydration of glucose to get ethanol is slightly different - in the fermentation process, this dehydration is simply getting rid of the excess water to leave just the ethanol. The water is not being removed from the ethanol molecule; the ethanol is mixed with the water (a la I pour ethanol into a jug and then I pour water into the jug as well). The water is being removed from the mix.

I_F

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Yeh I thought it would be something like that...do you know where I could find an equation for it?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
You won't need an equation for it. It's basically like evaporating an aqueous copper sulfate solution to get copper sulfate crystals - no chemical change involved. Just mention it as a part of the process. :)

I_F

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Yeh ok. I need an equation though...hmm...I already have the main equation for ethanol from glucose.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
You won't need an equation. The only one you might need is the one you already have - ethanol from glucose. From my understanding, this is all you need on that point:

6. Dehydration: The alcohol will then pass through a dehydration system where the remaining water will be removed.

You could probably substitute in evaporation for dehydration.

I_F

Loz_metalhead

HSC
It says I need equations..not just the fermentation one. The teacher gave us the marking guideline.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The only other equations that you might need are glucose from CO2 and H2O (which I think is 6CO2 (g) + 6H2O (l) -> C6H12O6 (s) + 6O2 (g), not sure here), and the burning of ethanol (C2H5OH (l) + 3O2 (g) -> 2CO2 (g) + 3H2O (l)), which produces CO2 and H2O which can then make more glucose, to make more ethanol, etc. You won't need one on the removal of water.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)