Development of the pharaonoic state - OKE historical period (1 Viewer)

rink

HSC
Hey, Im trying to write notes for OKE historical period unification to end of dynasty 6.....I came across a point called ''development of the pharaonic state''. I have no idea what to write for it, i borrowed a book from macq uni but theres nothing on it in there unless its the same thing as unification. A question about it is also in the CSSA paper so im kinda worried, i should know something about it. What do u guys have in ur notes for this point? oh and i also need stuff on 'military excursions and campaigns - weni and sahura'. Any help would be appreciated

ta

rink

HSC
hey yep i already had a look at that but it's not really what im looking for, id like to try and make some comprehensive notes

hipPo3

HSC
rink said:
Hey, Im trying to write notes for OKE historical period unification to end of dynasty 6.....I came across a point called ''development of the pharaonic state''. I have no idea what to write for it, i borrowed a book from macq uni but theres nothing on it in there unless its the same thing as unification. A question about it is also in the CSSA paper so im kinda worried, i should know something about it. What do u guys have in ur notes for this point? oh and i also need stuff on 'military excursions and campaigns - weni and sahura'. Any help would be appreciated

ta
"devlopment of the pharaonic state" - in other words, describe the impact of various kings/queens/viziers had on Egypt in different time periods.

'military excursions and campaigns - weni and sahura' - Sahure himself went on excursions to Libya, Nubia, Byblos and i think Punt (not sure about that one). I guess thats all of his military achievments .. hes very boring. Weni was a general for the army, so he went to battle quiet often. He also was the first to recruit Nubians than just Egyptians. He also become Governer, and made improvments to benefit the Military (eg digging a group of channels along the Nile at the First Cataract)

Thats all i can think of atm...(sorry, dont have any evidence)

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
hipPo3 said:
"devlopment of the pharaonic state" - in other words, describe the impact of various kings/queens/viziers had on Egypt in different time periods.
Maybe don't post if you're not entire sure what you're talking about.

The Pharaonic state was, of course, the combined geographical location of the Nile Valley. This state involved the Pharaoh at the top of a hierachy, with officials below and gods above. The state was a theological state as well as a political one.

'Development' is a verb, similar to 'to grow, to expand, to increase quality of, to develop'. Hence, development of the state is the expansion and creation of the Egyptian state.

It has nothing to do with what hippo said. You have to show how the state unified, why it unified, when it unified, and the effect of all these factors. You apply these factors onto the previous (uninified) state, and show how Egypt developed.

'military excursions and campaigns - weni and sahura' - Sahure himself went on excursions to Libya, Nubia, Byblos and i think Punt (not sure about that one). I guess thats all of his military achievments .. hes very boring. Weni was a general for the army, so he went to battle quiet often. He also was the first to recruit Nubians than just Egyptians. He also become Governer, and made improvments to benefit the Military (eg digging a group of channels along the Nile at the First Cataract)
Yes, military and officials are important, but you can't just yabber on about military campaigns.

rink

HSC
thanks for ur help hippo!

rhapsody11 said:
You have to show how the state unified, why it unified, when it unified, and the effect of all these factors. You apply these factors onto the previous (uninified) state, and show how Egypt developed.
thanks for ur reply.........do u have any notes on this stuff? all i basically know is that narmer unified upper and lower egypt..........dunno how or why or whatever (i think it was coz upper and lower egypt were getting into too many wars or sumthing?)

hipPo3

HSC
rink said:
anyone? why was egypt unified and how was it unified?
Narmer ..

although the narmer pallette could suggest just a battle against the libyans (or asiatics) in the deltic region. SO, narmer could have just unified Egypt by marrying Neith-hotep (princess of Lower Egypt).

Either way is fine i guess...

rink

HSC
i went to this lecture by gaye callendar and she said that new evidence has now been found which indicates that the narmer palette doesnt actually represent the unification of upper and lower egypt but rather a war with somewhere else (cant remember where maybe libya)........

anywayz, why was egypt unified?

hipPo3

HSC
rink said:
i went to this lecture by gaye callendar and she said that new evidence has now been found which indicates that the narmer palette doesnt actually represent the unification of upper and lower egypt but rather a war with somewhere else (cant remember where maybe libya)........

at sydney uni ?, then i went to the same thing.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
rink said:

Yeah, but Gae Callender says a lot of things 'as fact', rather than 'as oppinion'.

rink

HSC
yep at sydney uni, she's wierd that woman..........

ANYWAY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ does someone have info on unification!?! its an emergency!

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
rink said:
yep at sydney uni, she's wierd that woman..........

ANYWAY, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ does someone have info on unification!?! its an emergency!
No, I don't.

In all honesty, I would be more concerned with looking at your notes and textbook, rather than begging for notes from students who are currently looking at their notes and textbook.

rink

HSC
thats the problem.....my notes dont have much on unification. it just basically says that narmer is credited with unifying upper and lower egypt (seen from narmer palette) and that upper egypt beat lower egypt (scorpion mace head) and thats about it.....my teacher didnt even give us a textbook for historical period, i borrowed one from the library but its crap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)