Did The Freakin Kid Ahve Colour Blindness!!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Oso

Biotechnician in Training
HSC
25% chance he did. 75% chance he didn't.
because
50% chance his mum had it, and father doesn't count because its not on the Y chromosome.

So going on odds, no he didn't.

MiniT

Merlin The Sorcerer
Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun
HSC
I had done heaps of questions like that when I was studying so this is what I think the markers were looking for.

You had to establish the mothers genotype. She may have been being a carrier of red-green colour blindness or she could have been normal.

Then you could have drawn a punette square showing the possible out comes if the mother was a carrier and then the outcomes if she was normal.

Upon doing this you would see that there are 3/4 chances that he will have normal vision and 1/4 chances that he will be colour blind.

Did that help?

daffidoll

Great! now i've definetly screwed up! i honestly though i did okay, but lookin at everyone elses answers i feel so stupid. i guess i should be more prepared 4 my next exam (chem). im soooo lookin forward to that (as if).

Debs

HSC
hey ther- im sure noone cares anymore- and im probably wrong-
but from my tree it seemed that the mother was only a carrier- and didnt actually have it- so from drawing a punet square ... and getting rid of the female offspring options... it would mean that ther was a 50/50 chance either way of the boy being colourblind
haha WHO CARES! ahha i definately dont know why i bothered posting my gay answer

daffidoll

hey thanx, i guess i should get over it. i mean theres nothing i can do now anyway. to tell u the truth im just so sick of studyin. im honestly just worn out and to tell ya the truth i just dont give a shit anymore bout my next 2 exams. i really just wanna sleep!!! lol

SGS05

HSC
Did we actually have to give the percentage of phenotypes and genotypes?

banana_monkey

Better than you
HSC
SGS05 said:
Did we actually have to give the percentage of phenotypes and genotypes?
May have helped. I think if you wrote out phenotypes for Maria's parents, then Maria and her husband, along with percentages, you'd be approaching one of those exemplar examples. Those are often crazy 10 out of 5 question, if you know what I mean. I gave statisics on how likely it was for Maria, then her child to be colour blind, but I didn't put the stat's in for the other possible phenotypes and genotypes. Just what the chance was of her then her son being colour blind.

Bboymot

Freshest member ever
HSC
That quesion was ridiculous.

Its stupid when they give you insufficent data to answer the question properly.

With the data provided, you couldnt even tell if his mother was a carrier.

I answered it by saying his mother had a 50/50 chance of being a carrier, and seeing as his father is unaffected, times that by another 50/50 and he has a 1 in 4 chance of being colourblind. wack question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)