Did you have a job during HSC/Year 12? (1 Viewer)

dionb2014

HSC
It depends what you care more about, getting a quick buck now and potntially sacraficing your future career prospects or hold off and give yourslef the best oppurtunity to succeed.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It depends what you care more about, getting a quick buck now and potntially sacraficing your future career prospects or hold off and give yourslef the best oppurtunity to succeed.
That's not really fair, not everyone has mummy and daddy to pay for all their shit.

SnowTau

HSC
I quit my job, however I was lucky enough to receive a few grants and bursaries and stuff, to make up for lost earnings. I'd probably still have a job otherwise.

timmyt

HSC
Haha having a job this year actually helped! Cause it took away time it made me more motivated to do work in the time I had left...I've been a trainee manager at maccas since feb, and It hasn't at all affected my results..

lil_pembo

HSC
I worked throughout the hsc. I actually found it a motivator to work cause i wasnt like "oh, I'll do that later" I knew I had to get the work done so I could get to work on time.
I am doing my exams atm and i'm working 3hrs a week, just for some cash flow. Also, a balance is needed.

KateSinead

HSC
I kept my job this whole year. I think it defiantly got in the way through, and I know I could have gone a bit better if I didn't have a job. But my hours I work are pretty retarded. Like i would probably work 2-3 shifts a week, but they would always be from straight after school till late at 10:30-11 at night. So it would cut out my whole afternoon and night for studying/assignments, and I would be so tired the next day getting up and going to school after working late the night before, that I would be too tired to do anything that afternoon. Made things a bit stressful, but I don't think i would have been able to survive this year without a job (petrol is so expensive!!), and I have to pay for all my own things and car etc.
I reckon if you do decide to keep your job, make sure your employer knows that school comes first and they give you limited hours. I got burnt for taking off this month for exams. Boss said when he hired me, he was under the assumption that I would be available to work all year round. So maybe make it clear with your boss how much time you will need to take off etc.

HelenaJean

HSC
i did.
I think it actually did me good. It got me out of the house and gave me a break from the constant stress, not only of when i was studying, but the guilt of when i was not. I did about 7 hours on the weekend. It paid for my car and small luxuries to keep me happy.
You can make it work; balance is what's important here.

edit: three hours with a tutor will do you better than 10 hours of solitary study IMO.

Last edited:

TheWolfsLunch

HSC
That's not really fair, not everyone has mummy and daddy to pay for all their shit.
Which becomes doubley hard when your parents split during the HSC, and you go from relying on mummy and daddy, to nearly being completely independant in less than a month. Luckily I'd gotten a job three months beforehand, so I was just scraping by my petrol money each week, and living off other people's food :D

I have a problem with procrastination, it wouldn't matter if I did or didn't have a job as I'd still procrastinate. When I actually have subjects I enjoy (when I go to Uni) I'll probably get more into proper study.

bbychocoholic

HSC
I worked during Year 12 and my HSC. I just asked for the time off or shorter shifts two weeks or so before my exams so that I was getting a break from studying + had some money on the side/saved up for after the HSC. Think Big Bang Theory and that ep where Sheldon found a 'menial' job to help him figure out that complicated problem he was struggling with.

It all comes down to your time management and how you study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)