difficulty of the first year math exams (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i can't seem to get hold of any past papers, but i want to know how hard were the first year maths exams (i specifically wanna know abt. math 1901 and 1902)...was it very hard??

like are they gonna b putting all these "harder" questions, that we find in our tutorials?? if so how much of the test is based on these harder questions. :cold:

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
It doesn't matter how hard it is, you'll get scaling at the end. Just to give you an idea, it's around 3% HD, 14% D, some 30 to 40% C. The level of difficulty largely depends on your lecturer's style, taste, mood, etc. A large proportion of the questions are fairly straight forward so the bludgers have a chance to pass. As long as you work consistently through the semester, you should be fine :)

Last edited:

DA

You can get the past exam papers from the library web site.

Originally posted by Super Pig
The level of difficulty largely depends on your lecturer's style, taste, mood, etc.
Yup that's quite an accurate statement I think. The style of questions will be largely influenced by who your lecturer is and what sorts of questions (s)he likes setting. As far as harder tutorial questions go, it's unlikely that there will be a substantial amount of questions like that, because a lot of people wouldn't be able to do well in such questions. From my experience, most of the questions should be of a reasonable standard, with probably a few easy ones chucked in for good measure. If you're lucky, you might have an exam with no "hard" question, but it's probably a fair bet that there will be at least one of these kinds of questions (most likely the last one I guess), although to what extent etc. depends on the lecturer (and the luck of the draw).

Of course, for people like Super Pig, all exams are easy, but that's another story :p

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Only 3% of people get over 85%.

Well, that puts everything into perspective.
Bear in mind that this is scaled, and there are alot of people doing 1st year maths. A good 4u student who works shouldn't have thta much trouble with first year maths. Some of second year, on the other hand, ... :)
Originally posted by freaking_out
:eek: that means it must b super hard that exam...not like 3u maths exams in which 85% raw is just average. :D
The raw average in 3u is nowhere near 85%, even for 4u students.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Bear in mind that this is scaled, and there are alot of people doing 1st year maths. A good 4u student who works shouldn't have thta much trouble with first year maths. Some of second year, on the other hand, ... :)
What about third year maths? I may have a little trouble with getting an HD in that.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
>.< ' pffftt... it makes me painful each time i realize keyzpad topped 4u....

*pains

*heart aches

*head explodes

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
>.< ' pffftt... it makes me painful each time i realize keyzpad topped 4u....

*pains

*heart aches

*head explodes
man, why u taking it that seriously for, if u think abt. it- there's always gonna b ppl. better than u, so just accept it and try ya hardest. :)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
That's a stupid stupid statement.

Theorem: In a finite set every element is less than another element. (I.e. there's always someone better than you, the lesser element).

Disproof: Order the elements from best to worst.

Pick the best element.

There is no better element than it.

Hence theorem is incorrect.

Q.E.D.

You dolt.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
That's a stupid stupid statement.

Theorem: In a finite set every element is less than another element. (I.e. there's always someone better than you, the lesser element).

Disproof: Order the elements from best to worst.

Pick the best element.

There is no better element than it.

Hence theorem is incorrect.

Q.E.D.

You dolt.

yeah, i agree- but that "best" element will b god, and since we're humans, we'll always have someone more better than us!

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, i agree- but that "best" element will b god, and since we're humans, we'll always have someone more better than us!
You dolt, if you remove God from the set, the theorem still holds.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ahah keypad, how do you manage to fit you and your big head into the schedule

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Why?

Just because I'm infinitely cooler than you ...
isn't taht a good enuf reason??

*pause

wait!!! u ain't infinitely cooler dan me!!!!!!!!! i am to u!!! >.< ' pffffttt lolz...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)