• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

digital camera opinions 2 (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'm not a big fan of XD, but the rest of the features can be found in just about any digital camera these days.

Also, 1.5" does seem quite small, but if you've never used a camera before (or previewed pictures) - you wouldn't really tell the difference between LCD sizes.

Video-out is always nice, as I have the same features (everything listed there), all but XD - I take MMC/SD.

Also, I'm not a fan of alkaline batteries when you're:

- Using the flash
- Previewing/Reviewing images
- Using the LCD to capture photos, instead of the View Finder.

That'll eat up a lot of battery power, especially if it's alkaline. Having said that, this camera does support NiMH batteries, so that would be one of the first things I'd buy (and a charger).

Look for 1800mAh (or higher) NiMH (not NiCd) batteries and a charger, if you want to have the best photography experience.

Expand the memory too, 16MB just isn't enough when you're "trigger happy" (first day of buying a camera). :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
If you record lots of movies you might want unlimited movie recording - although 60s is a lot longer than what most people would use anyway (blowing out candles on a cake?).

AA alkaline batteries suck, I agree with Huy. They have a terribly short battery life. If you DO get NiMH batteries, you'd need a recharger too, so add that into the cost..

I prefer SD cards *shrugs* My laptop has an SD slot so I wouldn't have to drag USB cables everywhere.. not that they're heavy or anything.

oh, and get a case.

Rahul

Dead Member
thanks huy and anti. :)

huy,
what exactly do you mean by videoout?
how are XD cards in comparison to SD, in terms of performance/use and price?

the 1.5" screen will be ok, not a real worry there. :)

would you know rough prices for NiMH battries + charger?

cheers again.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Rahul
what exactly do you mean by videoout?
Projecting (outputing) what you see on your LCD onto the TV.

Your TV acts as the "larger version" of your LCD, in simple terms. If you've recorded short video clips, you can p/review them on the television - it's also a lot better when you're going through your images, watching a slideshow, or similar on the television, in comparison to the "tiny" LCD (I have a 1.8" - don't take out that out context ;)).
how are XD cards in comparison to SD, in terms of performance/use and price?
I've never actually used/seen an XD card in real life, but SD and MMC (SD's being 'superior' in that they have a security 'lock' on them). MMC cards are less expensive, compared to SDs. I wouldn't know about XDs - but kimmeh has an Olympus camera and uses XDs, you might like to talk to her instead about pricing - although she did import/buy hers overseas.

"The majority of imported goods come from overseas"

- G.W. Bush
would you know rough prices for NiMH battries + charger?
NiMH - 4 batteries, 1800mAh retails for about $25 to $28 dollars. Don't pay anymore than $30 for them. Go to Tandy, Dick Smith or any other camera store and you'll be able to buy them. I've got 8 rechargeable batteries (I make use of the LCD instead, when I'm taking photos, as opposed to the view finder which I find fiddley and 'too small' to use, it's much easier taking and framing subjects with the LCD than it is with the view finder/tiny window).

The charger, depending on the type, goes for about $30 to upwards of $80 or more.

I sugest you buy a rapid charger, but they will be more expensive (less than a hundred, some even come with spare batteries, which is a nice bonus). I myself have a "normal" NiMH charger, which I got from Tandy for about $20. It takes about 22 hours to charge (from 0 to 100%) a completely drained battery, but I do 4 at a time and I've always got 4 "full" batteries - two in the camera and two spare. :)

The rapid chargers will charge from 0 to 75% or so in about 3 hours, but they usually charge to 100% in about 4-5 hours. I would recommend the rapid charger if you don't have patience (or a limited number of batteries), but always make sure you have a spare pair of batteries - in case your camera runs out and you need to take shots ASAP.

There's nothing wrong with standard chargers, I leave them overnight and charge 'em - at the moment I've got 6 full batteries (2 are dead, I'll have to charge them soon).

:)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
I've never actually used/seen an XD card in real life, but SD and MMC (SD's being 'superior' in that they have a security 'lock' on them). MMC cards are less expensive, compared to SDs. I wouldn't know about XDs - but kimmeh has an Olympus camera and uses XDs, you might like to talk to her instead about pricing - although she did import/buy hers overseas.
:uhhuh: well i dont know much about it. i just use it .. but heres a pic of it ;)
though i bought mine overseas, i saw the exact 128mb card for about $120

i thought that like the brands would produce their own memory cards.. ie sone has their own sony memory stick...

i think a card is just a card :p as long as i can use then bleah~ :apig::apig:

Rahul

Dead Member
lol, thanks kim :D

nice forensics work with using the dollar coin. :p

another question, using NiCd battries shouldnt be a problem, rite? because i already have NiCd batteries and charger.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
nah its ok. you gave me a rough idea for the price.....
they should come with a 16mb card anyway shouldnt they? mine did...:confused:

if i were you, i'd get a 4mp one. 3.2 mp have ben around for a while, and their value is depreciating or will in a few months.. esp when the new year comes, theyre going to make new models.. mine is 4mp :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
another question, using NiCd battries shouldnt be a problem, rite? because i already have NiCd batteries and charger.
As I understand it, Cadmium batteries won't last as long as Metal-Hydrides (Chemistry wasn't included in my UAI, so you can tell I'm not a Chemist ;)).

NiCd batteries would be superior to any alkaline batteries, but I would still recommend NiMH whenever possible. Make sure you read the manual that comes with your digital camera about batteries and the types of batteries that can be used. I know with my Kodak that alkaline batteries are not recommended -- I have never used alkaline with my Kodak, however I have a friend who disobeyed it, the camera still works but the batteries don't last very long - maybe he's just cheap! :p

The MMC (and SD) cards are the size of a postage stamp. They are rectangular and so cannot be compared with a dollar coin. Lengthwise, they are a bit longer than XD cards, but as you can see, it's the size of a twenty-cent coin.

The best thing about MMC (and SD) cards, is the thickness. It's as thick as a five-cent coin!

It weighs one gram! :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Rahul, if you're just interested in basic photography you probably won't care too much about video out. I know I don't - I just upload them to my computer + look at clips there. It's just useful in case you do want to look at them on a tv.

blah. i got my canon ixus fixed finally. something inside was broken. :(

Rahul

Dead Member
lol @ pics. thanks heaps. :)

i think i will be ordering this camera, or should i say, i'll be pestering my dad to order it. :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
I like those pictures, except for the second one, where it looks like I'm trying to do the "muso-sign". I couldn't hold the two items properly, without slipping.

\m/

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmm.. im not a big fan of xd either..
but since olympus and now fuji use it .. im gettin there..
xd is kinda dodgy if u get generic ones.. as some features become locked out.. well according to olympus

NiCd batteries are superior to alkalines..but also have the 'memory effect'

litium ions are the best.. if possible ....other wise NiMH are decent enuf .. Get the sony ones (NiMH) if u hav the $$
bit steep but quick 1 hour recharge and individual monitors make them worthwhile

btw if u want to shoot movies... buy a DV camera.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)