Diploma of Languages (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Has anyone done a certificate or diploma in languages?

What are the purpose of these courses? I have a fairly ok grasp of a language (including some uni studies), but I am looking to further my knowledge - I assume a certificate or diploma may benefit me? Does anyone have any ideas on how else to learn a language? I'm not sure that community colleges and similar courses would be at a level as high as university? I think eventually you do need to live in the country, but I want to learn as much as I can get while in Australia. Any thoughts appreciated!

Thank you.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rob (Pwar) does this or is doing something like this or has done something like this or promotes something like this (I forget which).

From what I understood, they're basically there as a way of learning languages without enrolling in a Bachelor's program, so they're beneficial for say, older/working people who want to take a language up in their spare time. That being said, anyone is free to do them :)

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah I'm finishing a CertLang (and will probably upgrade to a Bachelor's in it eventually) in German.

It depends completely on what language you've studied and at what level -- you'll need to figure out what level you start at. But yeah, if you're interested in a language, a Certificate is definitely the best option:

- You can upgrade the Certificate > Diploma > Bachelor's if you enjoy it,
- if you don't want to continue after your full year, you can just get your Certficate,
- it's put on your HECS (cf community college),
- arguable, it's better teaching, students, and environment than say a community college.

Community colleges are definitely great for languages, but consider that you have to pay outright for them (although sometimes an entire semester there can be ~$100), but on the flip side you generally only meet once a week. You really want as much exposure to the language as possible if you want to make any progress, and one session a week isn't enough; if you go to a CC, you'll need to put a lot of your own work in.

The pros of a CC is that they are usually far more practical and hands-on.

You don't 'need' to live in the country at all for a Certificate, Diploma, or even a Bachelor's majoring in the language. Obviously in-country exposure is immensely ideal, but it's not required by the uni.

Edit: Er that being said, the application's closed, so you'll have to wait to 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Thanks pwar! That is very helpful! Ok yes I think I should go the uni route, but I will do a bit more research.

I know, I wouldn't want to start this semester (I need a rest, have a bit of work to do to to finish my ongoing contact with the uni and would like to try and regain some of the language that I have lost) and they don't take mid year intake at mac :S. I will check out the other unis, but I probably have a bit much on my plate this year already, it would otherwise be ideal to start in semester 2. (Alternatively, if the economic situation doesn't pick up, I may have a whole lot of nothing on my plate this year so semester 2 could really be the ideal time to start!).

Last edited:

Borbor

HSC
Sorry to bump, but in regards to Diploma and Certificates. What's the difference?

I read the site and is it only that you have to study less credit points for a Certificate than a Diploma?

I'm in Year 12 atm, and thinking of doing a diploma next year at Macq or USYD cause I can't fit it within my planned combo. Macq's diploma seems to require less credit points than USYD and you can only do it part-time but other than, would you know any other major differences?

X

xeuyrawp

Sorry to bump, but in regards to Diploma and Certificates. What's the difference?

I read the site and is it only that you have to study less credit points for a Certificate than a Diploma?
The Certificate is 12 credit points (= 4 subjects, = 1.5 years), the Diploma is 24 credit points, which could be squeezed into 2.5 years I guess.

I'm in Year 12 atm, and thinking of doing a diploma next year at Macq or USYD cause I can't fit it within my planned combo.
What do you mean?

Macq's diploma seems to require less credit points than USYD and you can only do it part-time but other than, would you know any other major differences?
- I believe USyd uses a different credit point system to MQ, so figure it out in terms of how many subjects you'd do and how logn it would take,
- you can essentially do any study part-time at Macquarie,
- with regards to differences, it depends on the language. Have you come to the two unis' Open Days? Make your decision after you've seen the campuses.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Thanks, PwarYuex.

I'll need to consider doing my Japanese language studies via Macquarie. I noticed they're introducing Arabic too.

Borbor

HSC
The Certificate is 12 credit points (= 4 subjects, = 1.5 years), the Diploma is 24 credit points, which could be squeezed into 2.5 years I guess.

What do you mean?

- I believe USyd uses a different credit point system to MQ, so figure it out in terms of how many subjects you'd do and how logn it would take,
- you can essentially do any study part-time at Macquarie,
- with regards to differences, it depends on the language. Have you come to the two unis' Open Days? Make your decision after you've seen the campuses.
Cheers for the reply :D.

Sorry for the confusing post, I just read it over and I don't make much sense.

I want to do Comm/Law at USYD but the timetable for it is pretty much preset and doesn't allow for any substantial study outside the Business and Law faculties.

However, I really want to do continue my German studies at uni and hence my questions abou Diplomas and Certs. Naturally my first consideration was Diploma of Langauge (German) at Sydney but I live practically next door to Macq and I get the impression their European Language department is pretty impressive which is why I was debating between the two.

I've been to both open days and quite honestly, the language stands sucked at both unis. They were extremely vague and just kept telling me things I already knew (i.e. all the stuff online on the faculty pages and the handbooks).

spence

HSC

I want to do Comm/Law at USYD but the timetable for it is pretty much preset and doesn't allow for any substantial study outside the Business and Law faculties.

However, I really want to do continue my German studies at uni and hence my questions abou Diplomas and Certs. Naturally my first consideration was Diploma of Langauge (German) at Sydney but I live practically next door to Macq and I get the impression their European Language department is pretty impressive which is why I was debating between the two.

I've been to both open days and quite honestly, the language stands sucked at both unis. They were extremely vague and just kept telling me things I already knew (i.e. all the stuff online on the faculty pages and the handbooks).
Even if you live next door to Mac, wouldn't it still be easier to do it at Sydney? Cause all your other classes would be there

X

xeuyrawp

Have you looked into non-commerce options with your LLB? I think USyd has got something.

I say this because noone else will: Honest to god, you don't want to be doing a full-time USyd comm/law degree WITH a DipLang elsewhere. One of my friends did something businessy at USyd but managed a few arts subjects as well - can't remember what it was, though.

Yes the Euro lang people at MQ are impressive, but no more so than the USyd ones. I wouldn't come to MQ for a DipLang if you're already at USyd; the teaching at each university is honestly very comparible. MQ may give you more money to go on exchange, trips, etc, so keep that in mind. There's nothing stopping you from picking up a DipLang at MQ in your second year, enrolling in the trip overseas, and getting the Macquarie International funding. :)

But you're right in saying that you should continue your language study, completely agree with that.

Borbor

HSC
Even if you live next door to Mac, wouldn't it still be easier to do it at Sydney? Cause all your other classes would be there
Probably :p. In hindsight, it does seem like a ridiculous suggestion but I'd like to suss out all my options first.

Have you looked into non-commerce options with your LLB? I think USyd has got something.

I say this because noone else will: Honest to god, you don't want to be doing a full-time USyd comm/law degree WITH a DipLang elsewhere. One of my friends did something businessy at USyd but managed a few arts subjects as well - can't remember what it was, though.

Yes the Euro lang people at MQ are impressive, but no more so than the USyd ones. I wouldn't come to MQ for a DipLang if you're already at USyd; the teaching at each university is honestly very comparible. MQ may give you more money to go on exchange, trips, etc, so keep that in mind. There's nothing stopping you from picking up a DipLang at MQ in your second year, enrolling in the trip overseas, and getting the Macquarie International funding. :)

But you're right in saying that you should continue your language study, completely agree with that.
Thanks for reply again. I'd definitely want to keep Comm though, it's just something I want to do. Not so sure about law...

I rang up my German teacher cause I reckon he would have the most knowledgable insight into this sort of thing. Our school careers adviser is dreadful and the open days for the unis have been frustratingly vague.

He said Macq's German program is a more progressive and modern one and if he had his choice he would pick Macq. But then again he said he's biased since he taught there for 10 years and did his PHD there :p.

This isn't necessarily a bad point but he said USYD takes a more traditional approach, studying more classical texts and they seemed to have a few problems in the past years but seem to be getting better now.

Also another thing, if I did Comm/Law @ USYD, I don't think I can start Dip. Lang. straight away. My 1st yr uni friend said he has to wait til second year. I wonder if Macq has the same policy. Hmm...

spence

HSC
Probably :p. In hindsight, it does seem like a ridiculous suggestion but I'd like to suss out all my options first.

Thanks for reply again. I'd definitely want to keep Comm though, it's just something I want to do. Not so sure about law...

I rang up my German teacher cause I reckon he would have the most knowledgable insight into this sort of thing. Our school careers adviser is dreadful and the open days for the unis have been frustratingly vague.

He said Macq's German program is a more progressive and modern one and if he had his choice he would pick Macq. But then again he said he's biased since he taught there for 10 years and did his PHD there :p.

This isn't necessarily a bad point but he said USYD takes a more traditional approach, studying more classical texts and they seemed to have a few problems in the past years but seem to be getting better now.

Also another thing, if I did Comm/Law @ USYD, I don't think I can start Dip. Lang. straight away. My 1st yr uni friend said he has to wait til second year. I wonder if Macq has the same policy. Hmm...
I don't think you necessarily have to wait a year, I'm pretty sure one of my friends started her DipLang in her first year (at USyd)

X

xeuyrawp

Did you come to the MQ one and speak with either a teacher of German or one of the student advisors? :S

Tbh I'd ignore all of that. On face value, MQ and USyd German are going to be about the same.

At the very least, if you're interested in what USyd German students study, ask them. I highly doubt they study more 'classical texts' as curricula are quite well established for language teaching. Also, you do study classical texts at MQ in your later years.

Borbor

HSC
Thanks for the response, when I went to the open days there was no one from the German department only this Greek lady who kept giving me this disdainful look like I was stupid or something... And then she told me to check the website...which I thought was helpful -_-.

I haven' had a chance to go to USYD language section on their open days but they haven't replied to their emails. (I'm guessing they have much more impotant things to do than reply to high school kids!)

Anyway, you sound like you study German @ Macq? What do you do at uni? And if one studies a diploma do they study the same units/subjects as someone who's doing a German major in B Arts?

You've been really helpful! Thanks!

X

xeuyrawp

Thanks for the response, when I went to the open days there was no one from the German department only this Greek lady who kept giving me this disdainful look like I was stupid or something... And then she told me to check the website...which I thought was helpful -_-.
Yeah, some academics are hopeless. You've just got to get over it as much as possible, and realise that you're going to have to make the effort. :p

I haven' had a chance to go to USYD language section on their open days but they haven't replied to their emails. (I'm guessing they have much more impotant things to do than reply to high school kids!)
Replying to high school kids really should be at the top of priorities lists, imo.

Anyway, you sound like you study German @ Macq? What do you do at uni?
I've done a full year of German, although Peartie has done a full German major. I'm actually studying Egyptology (for which German is essential).

And if one studies a diploma do they study the same units/subjects as someone who's doing a German major in B Arts?

You've been really helpful! Thanks!
Yes, that's correct. Macquarie doesn't differentiate between what degree you're doing; students who are doing X subject will share classes. As an example, if you're doing GMN103 as part of your DipLang, you will also be in classes with students who are doing it as part of their BA, International Studies, Commerce, Finance, Science, etc etc. :)

Borbor

HSC
Yeah, some academics are hopeless. You've just
Yes, that's correct. Macquarie doesn't differentiate between what degree you're doing; students who are doing X subject will share classes. As an example, if you're doing GMN103 as part of your DipLang, you will also be in classes with students who are doing it as part of their BA, International Studies, Commerce, Finance, Science, etc etc. :)
Sounds good!

Do you mind if I ask some more q's? (sorry to heckle you, you're the only source of info that has actually been quite useful!)

Is learning German (or any lang) similar to high school? i.e. How do you learn reading, writing, speaking and listening skills?

And one more :D, are there still exchange opportunities for someone on a Diploma?

Thanks!

X

xeuyrawp

Sounds good!

Do you mind if I ask some more q's? (sorry to heckle you, you're the only source of info that has actually been quite useful!)

Is learning German (or any lang) similar to high school? i.e. How do you learn reading, writing, speaking and listening skills?
It's really the same as learning everywhere I guess? There are only so many ways to teach a language... *shrug*

The approach taken in most modern unis is to teach languages via the 'communicative' method. They're all the same though, to be honest.

And one more :D, are there still exchange opportunities for someone on a Diploma?

Thanks!
Yes there are - you've just got to be careful with the timing of it.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
The approach taken in most modern unis is to teach languages via the 'communicative' method. They're all the same though, to be honest.
What is this 'communicative' method? I assume it's the method that made me drop my language... I was hoping USYD might offer something more 'concrete'

rx34

HSC
I'm most probably going to learn German (cert) next year in USyd. I don't think i'll go for the diploma though, there's too much pressure. It might pull down my WAM of my other subjects (does it?). Anyway, german looks like an awesome language to swear in (Scrubs haha).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)