Do doctors study mathematical formulae in medical school? (1 Viewer)

Leggie

HSC
Do they? I wanna do med but I feel like I am going to miss maths in its complexity and intriguing calculations like in proofs and complex.

cossine

HSC
Do they? I wanna do med but I feel like I am going to miss maths in its complexity and intriguing calculations like in proofs and complex.
Have you consider studying data science and becoming a doctor.

cossine

HSC
Data science is used in medicine and health. Areas that could be useful include NLP, computer vision. Any classification or regression task. The degree to which your knowledge of medicine will be useful, I don't know.

idkkdi

HSC
wtf. med is literally human biology. why would you learn maths in a med degree

Last edited:

Leggie

HSC
wtf. med is literally human biology. why would you learn maths in a med degree
No but like some equations for calculating certain things like maybe amount of a substance a patient requires?

idkkdi

HSC
No but like some equations for calculating certain things like maybe amount of a substance a patient requires?
some algebra and arithmetic perhaps. definitely not anything 'complex/intriguing'. anything calculus and beyond should be irrelevant unless you go into research.

Virtue1081

HSC
Doctors do not necessarily need calculus, probability, etc. in doing their job but the core skills in doing mathematics is transferrable (critical thinking/analysis, arithmetic skills, connection of different ideas). However, knowing the extra miles in mathematics is interesting in certain subjects of medicine, including pharmacology.

For example, we know that an antibiotic generally kills a bacteria by affecting the conditions in which it functions. However, the issue comes in the amount that should be consumed. By measuring the conditions in which the bacteria thrives at different levels of a condition (e.g. pH), we could use calculus to calculate the most efficient and effective point, thus the best solution to the antibiotics question. You can find out more by searching "calculus in medicine" and navigating to the sites.northwestern.edu website.

GrilledCheese

HSC
Most of the maths in medicine is statistics in order to either understand or perform research. Very little maths in the clinical side of medicine.

limitlesss

HSC
There is some math (mainly statistics) used in medical research which you can do as a research physician. But like @GrilledCheese said, very little in the clinical side of medicine, definitely no proofs and complex numbers.

Last edited:

dasfas

HSC
Do biomedical engineering maybe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)