Do people really give a crap about your Atar? (1 Viewer)

Skriker

HSC
Do people really care about what you get in the HSC? Is the Atar for mainly getting into a university? What if you want too apply for a casual Job? Do they look at the Atar or the results you got for the HSC?

Just wanting to know :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
ATAR is mainly for getting into university.

Maybe some employers will care just out of interest.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you are going for a casual job as long as you have a HSC and got ok results im sure pretty sure most employers would be pleased. Once you are into your course your ATAR is pretty much useless.

firespin

HSC
N/A
Hey when I was applying for cadetship/scholarship interviews, half of them asked for my ATAR as a general question I guess. I didn't show my HSC results (cus I thought they were shit) and what they were most interested in were the university semester transcripts. Not sure about casual jobs but as long you can demonstrate that you fulfil what they're looking for then no one cares about your HSC.

Last edited:

oisac

HSC
depending on the job why the f**k would the employer want to see your results, say for example you go to maccaz how is an atar of 90 + going to help you flip burgers and serve customers?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
depending on the job why the f**k would the employer want to see your results, say for example you go to maccaz how is an atar of 90 + going to help you flip burgers and serve customers?
Nothing. Could show dedication, hard-working ability and the like though.

An ATAR of 90+ on your resume may not be helpful at all, but it certainly doesn't harm your prospects of getting a job (unless the manager is like... a douche who thinks you'll coup him/her due to intelligence or something).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Fuck. Nobody cares about some marks you got when you were 16-18.
Yes, but for now... that's true. Later on, when we're like 22 or so and graduating uni - don't put your ATAR... at all.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No one can ask you for your ATAR and then penalise you for not giving it - by law. You may choose to do so. However, employers can ask for lastest academic results, if relevant to the job - so they might ask for you HSC results if you say need a level of Maths for the job and they want proof of what you did get. Always keep copies of your HSC results along with uni transcripts. Even after leaving uni sometime in the Dark Ages I am still needing to produce my academic transcripts at times e.g. this year the BOS wanted to see all our school staffs' transcipts to prove that we are qualified to teach.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
People at uni who still care about High School marks are generally seen as immature degenerate douchebags.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Short term, people care. Of course friends and family want to know how well you did in your HSC. A year later, no one gives a shit anymore.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
no...just no... LOL, have u ever worked in your life shadowdude?
Yes.

And that's what I was told. If it's wrong to you, I'll debate that what information I'm given is correct - and we'll get nowhere, so we'll agree to disagree.

HSC
Uni Grad
My parents did care because they were worried about the fact that I couldn't get into my course. I got told on fb that I got beaten by them, but I guess it won't matter since uni will change.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In certain industries, maybe your first employer will care. Other than that, noone gives a shit.

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
No, only to wankers who peak in high school.

K

khorne

No, only to wankers who peak in high school.
lol you're so bitter.

No, no one cares about ATAR, but people will care about other things. Your Uni degree, then your transcript, then your employment history, and so on. Every stage you overcome becomes pointless down the track, but it doesn't mean that it didn't contribute in setting up the next stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)