Do u know any analysis on the Yeats poems Swans at Cool Easter 1916 When You are Old (1 Viewer)

skatman

HSC
I was interested in gaining some more indepth analysis on the Yeats poems Easter 1916, When You are Old and Swans at Cool. This would be useful if you had any higher level information on areas within the texts such as the sublime of nature, Anthropomorphism, Personification etc within these texts. This will be useful for all 2006 graduates in terms of the upcoming assignment. If you require any information regarding my analysis of these texts plz send me a messg.

:burn:

fightthapower

HSC
i'm doing the same assignment n ive been away for bout 3 weeks so ive missed all the analysis and critical readings do you have anything that would help me out

jjjodes

HSC
Do you mean like the different intepretations?

We did a feminist analysis of When You Are Old, basically saying he demeans and threatens women and a New Criticsm for Wild Swans.

I dunno if that helps you at all

silentprayer

silently praying
HSC
i do yeats as well but i chose to do sailing to byzantium and byzantium. as for wild swans at coole i guess you can talk about aesthetics and yeats' honesty with ageing

ellaw

HSC
jjjodes said:
Do you mean like the different intepretations?

We did a feminist analysis of When You Are Old, basically saying he demeans and threatens women and a New Criticsm for Wild Swans.

I dunno if that helps you at all
Feminist analysis? "Demeans and threatens women"?

What exactly does he threaten her with? He isn't saying "be my love or i'll kill you" he's saying I know you'll never love me, and I'm going to simply let you know how you've hurt me - that's all. The poem doesn't even have a threatening TONE - it's humble & melancholic.

Feminist: Oh, no, maud Gonne, don't marry the guy who has loved you all his life and worships the ground you work on! Marry the wifebeater & drunkard John MacBride! That's what a smart self-respecting woman would do! You go girl!

Read this, from http://hschelp.wordpress.com/category/feminist-readings/ :

That aside, feminist/marxist/whatever readings have nothing to do with what markers want. the HSC markers even mention in the Notes that students who concentrate on this are missing the entire point:

"The HSC examiners report last year said most students who answered the King Lear question “referred to productions, readings and critical interpretations”. The most effective responses were those where students “presented a critical and personal engagement with the text”, established a clear argument and backed it up with “thoughtful reference” to the play.
The weaker responses, however, “provided a list of critical views and/or theories but had not engaged personally” in analysing these views."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)