Do you have to be religious to go to ACU? (1 Viewer)

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
Just wondering if you need to be religious to go to ACU, do you need to do catholic subjects etc..

Also I was wondering if I applied for a nursing course in the Final Round offers - how likely is this going to be offered to me - is the course usually full up by this time? Or do I have a chance of being accepted? I have also applied for UTS Nursing. Originally I was accepted into USYD for B of Arts and Science, but decided that wasn't for me on the enrolment day so now I am hoping I can get into a nursing course in the final round- Possible?

jest

HSC
no you don't have to be religious, i have a friend there who is not religious at all

check the uac site to see if the course still has vacancies, i'm pretty sure it still does though

SweetSeasons

HSC
and you dont have to do any religion units, they just have them there as an option :)

rozymisty

HSC
I know that this is a old thread, but to do education, you have to be religious I think.

Mum did primary/secondary at ACU Mitchelton (brisbane) a few years ago, and they offer the course with either Lutheran or Catholic subjects. Obviously the main reason for going to ACU for education is to get into the religious schools. for which you obviously have to be religious.

I wanted to do nursing at ACU, but it wouldve meant a lot of fussing around to get ther, go into the city, and then back out again, so I just stuck with QUT since i had already been there 3 years wasting my time on education.

What course did you end up getting into Jooobl?

SweetSeasons

HSC
rozymisty said:
I know that this is a old thread, but to do education, you have to be religious I think.

Mum did primary/secondary at ACU Mitchelton (brisbane) a few years ago, and they offer the course with either Lutheran or Catholic subjects. Obviously the main reason for going to ACU for education is to get into the religious schools. for which you obviously have to be religious.

I wanted to do nursing at ACU, but it wouldve meant a lot of fussing around to get ther, go into the city, and then back out again, so I just stuck with QUT since i had already been there 3 years wasting my time on education.

What course did you end up getting into Jooobl?
I do education and I am 100% not religious..

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Is anyone taking any theology?
If so, what's it like?

sickofapathy

HSC
N/A
:) hey there, i did theology. it's a mixed bag but it's interesting..never boring. you do a mix of different people doing theology @ ACU but it's worth the effort

19ashlea19

HSC
Hey i know this is an old thread, but i am tryin 2 decide which uni 2 go 2, i want 2 do a bachelor of social work and only a few unis offer it in NSW but my Dad lives in NZ and the uni that is 10 mins from his house offers it i don know if i should go there. But anyways if i decide 2 stay in Aust i was thinking the Aust Catholic University but i am not religious at all, are all the people religious?

mishka

HSC
N/A
Hi Ashlea,

Not everyone is religious at ACU and it's completely up to you if you decide to participate in the religious/spiritual events that happen on campus.

Even so, ACU is dedicated to social justice and ethics, so social work is highly regarded.

Another thing is to consider whether you can get the same support in NZ for your studies.. if you apply through UAC for a HECS place you can defer payment until you're working. Not sure how it works in NZ.

Check out the ACU website and in particular this page: http://www.acu.edu.au/qualify/courses/undergraduate/undergraduate_social_work_courses/ for more information.

I also recommend you come along to the university's open day to experience the campus for yourself. You can also speak to people who know more about the course.

Hope that helps :) Good luck!

19ashlea19

HSC
mishka said:
Hi Ashlea,

Not everyone is religious at ACU and it's completely up to you if you decide to participate in the religious/spiritual events that happen on campus.

Even so, ACU is dedicated to social justice and ethics, so social work is highly regarded.

Another thing is to consider whether you can get the same support in NZ for your studies.. if you apply through UAC for a HECS place you can defer payment until you're working. Not sure how it works in NZ.

Check out the ACU website and in particular this page: http://www.acu.edu.au/qualify/courses/undergraduate/undergraduate_social_work_courses/ for more information.

I also recommend you come along to the university's open day to experience the campus for yourself. You can also speak to people who know more about the course.

Hope that helps :) Good luck!

It does help thank u but if i go to NZ my dad was going to pay for everythin lol.
Is there other poeple at ACU who arent religious at all?

HSC
19ashlea19 said:
It does help thank u but if i go to NZ my dad was going to pay for everythin lol.
Is there other poeple at ACU who arent religious at all?
I'm an atheist, and I have never felt uncomfortable at ACU. There are also a number of Muslim students, and I haven't heard any of them complain.

The uni has a church, but I've not seen a single person in there whenever I walk past. There are also quite a few religious statues scattered around the place, but I don't mind them.

You will however get quite of emails inviting you to mass, prayer groups and other such loony nonsense.

I was actually intrigued by a proposed trip to the "Holy Land", but didn't bother when I found out the uni wasn't subsidising it, the cheap bastards.

Melody

HSC
N/A
You don't have to be religious to go to ACU full stop.

It's a public university, open to all.

It makes no difference if you are Catholic, if you follow another religion or have no religion at all. Everyone is welcome and treated the same.

lou071

HSC
N/A
Just wondering if you need to be religious to go to ACU, do you need to do catholic subjects etc..

Also I was wondering if I applied for a nursing course in the Final Round offers - how likely is this going to be offered to me - is the course usually full up by this time? Or do I have a chance of being accepted? I have also applied for UTS Nursing. Originally I was accepted into USYD for B of Arts and Science, but decided that wasn't for me on the enrolment day so now I am hoping I can get into a nursing course in the final round- Possible?

last year I heard that all students are welcomed regardless of their religion from students who go to ACU.

geriat

HSC
No, you don't have to be catholic or religious at all to go to ACU. No one will ask you (lecturers, admissions, etc). I was really afraid of this when I started there a few years ago. I thought they might get out the new testament and start preaching or something! But once I got there and met people I felt right at home.

When I was at ACU we had christian, Jewish, and athiests in the class. Even two of the lecturers were openly athiest. I think you'll find that most people are just apathetic.

There's no religious content in the social work or nursing degrees at all... I think there is in the BEd, but that's only so that you can be accredited to work in catholic schools.

The Signadou campus used to be a convent (nuns lived in one building, the priests in the other). There's a chapel but there's no obligation to attend. Same thing with the Graduation Mass - it's run the night before and you don't have to attend if you don't want to.

ACU has a really small campus, and the lecturers actually know your name. I've been to a few unis, and ACU definitely rates highly!

Good luck! :)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Lol.
It'd be illegal to select their students on religious grounds anyway. The Federal Anti-Discrimination Act (1974) says so.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
This thread deserves to stay in the graveyard, I hope this is the last post for the next 10 years now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)