does anyone have any work experience suggestions? (1 Viewer)

rubz07

HSC
I really don't know a specific field I'm interested in, so I would like to try out a range of work experience areas. I'm in year 10 currently and some fields I'm kind of interested in are: medical, medicine, lab stuff, law, bank accountant, real estate, etc. let me know please!!

libestraumno3

HSC
best to do research. also isnt it kinda late for year 10?
you could possibly ask ur school if ur allowed to do it in y11 but idk

Nedom

HSC
I really don't know a specific field I'm interested in, so I would like to try out a range of work experience areas. I'm in year 10 currently and some fields I'm kind of interested in are: medical, medicine, lab stuff, law, bank accountant, real estate, etc. let me know please!!
To my understanding:
The thing is, as a high school student you won't be able to have access to all these fields you have listed, as they are all basically restricted/out of reach unless you have connections and you will probably not be doing anything important or that impactful to the daily workings of the company/place if you even get a position in the first place. You are basically a blank piece of paper (like your resume presumably), so you shouldn't be saying I want to do something in the medical field, law field, or whatnot. Typically a high school student isn't going to get the opportunities to delve into any of your listed fields (that don't reflect the "range" you said, but in reality are really quite competitive and highly regarded, following closely to the stereotyped Asian expectations that go along the lines of "Doctor, Lawyer or Engineer, or you a disgrace"). Anyways, if you really want a job, you can be a receptionist maybe (for a dental practice (closest thing I can think of that is med related that I know a person is in) (don't know if it was through connections or not)), a tutor or a marker for a tutoring centre (quite popular), Woolies, KFC, Maccas, newspaper store or retail work, etc. (Don't remember the age requirements) (anything that doesn't really need you to have work experience, or doesn't deal with too important/responsible of a task). Either way, you are probably gonna be paid at minimum wage, or more often than not, below minimum wage. If you are looking for some work experience you are essentially limited to these options without the connections. Once you have decided which field you want to get into, you will most likely work hard (or you're just naturally smart, and you slack off) for a good ATAR and get into the course at your desired uni, and then you will get internships/placements for work experience related to the field you want to work in.

best to do research. also isnt it kinda late for year 10?
WHAT????? Then a vast majority of Year 12 students every year would be crying their lungs out if it was too late.

idkkdi

HSC
To my understanding:
The thing is, as a high school student you won't be able to have access to all these fields you have listed, as they are all basically restricted/out of reach unless you have connections and you will probably not be doing anything important or that impactful to the daily workings of the company/place if you even get a position in the first place. You are basically a blank piece of paper (like your resume presumably), so you shouldn't be saying I want to do something in the medical field, law field, or whatnot. Typically a high school student isn't going to get the opportunities to delve into any of your listed fields (that don't reflect the "range" you said, but in reality are really quite competitive and highly regarded, following closely to the stereotyped Asian expectations that go along the lines of "Doctor, Lawyer or Engineer, or you a disgrace"). Anyways, if you really want a job, you can be a receptionist maybe (for a dental practice (closest thing I can think of that is med related that I know a person is in) (don't know if it was through connections or not)), a tutor or a marker for a tutoring centre (quite popular), Woolies, KFC, Maccas, newspaper store or retail work, etc. (Don't remember the age requirements) (anything that doesn't really need you to have work experience, or doesn't deal with too important/responsible of a task). Either way, you are probably gonna be paid at minimum wage, or more often than not, below minimum wage. If you are looking for some work experience you are essentially limited to these options without the connections. Once you have decided which field you want to get into, you will most likely work hard (or you're just naturally smart, and you slack off) for a good ATAR and get into the course at your desired uni, and then you will get internships/placements for work experience related to the field you want to work in.

WHAT????? Then a vast majority of Year 12 students every year would be crying their lungs out if it was too late.
they're talking about yr 10 work experience. like the 1 week thingy. maybe ur school doesn't do it?

Nedom

HSC
they're talking about yr 10 work experience. like the 1 week thingy. maybe ur school doesn't do it?
Ok, kinda makes sense now. Yeah, my school didn't offer that thing, at least my year didn't get offer it. (Typically you would sign yourself up/talk to the careers advisor yourself about the many job offers that the careers advisor emailed out).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)