does school affect atar, my school is so stupid (1 Viewer)

monopoly73

HSC
honestly my school is so dumb, the highest Atar from two years ago was like 85, not even in the nineties! but does school ranking affect atar, cause i heard a kid who went to a bad school got 80s in his assessment mark but then got a 39 atar,apparently because his school was ranked so low. so does school actually matter or can it be up to the students if they try hard enough

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Don't worry too much. If you are ranked first in all of your subjects then it's possible to get whatever atar you want (even 99.95). It's important to be first so that you get to keep your external exam mark for all of your subjects and that becomes your overall hsc mark, and hence you wont get dragged down etc.

photastic

HSC
Like enigma said, school ranks do no matter since it is based on the previous year not yours. What really matters is your cohort's strength and your rank, dont really need to worry about the exam mark since no one except you can affect it. Hence it is important to rank 1st or close to it so that you do not dragged down but srsly it wont drag you down that much otherwise you shouldve been first at the school in the first place.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I have heard that people from 400+ ranks school got an amazing ATAR.

People need to understand that school rank has nothing to do with YOUR ATAR.

The amount of work you put into internals and externals will reflect the ATAR you receive. I come from a 100 - 200 ranked school, we still produce about thirty 90+ ATAR students, and A LOT of Band 6s, because students choose to work hard for it.

Feynman

HSC
In short, yes and no.

If you have students in your year who aren't motivated and don't aim high then you're on your own. You've got to be at the top (1st-3rd) of every subject. If you do that, then the school rank won't make much difference.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
There's quite a few BOS'ers who came from extremely low ranked schools and did brilliantly. It's up to your dedication and determination to come first in everything.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
Ceebs explaining this again... But in summary many including myself have gotten 90+ in 400+ schools. In the end it is your school's cohort, and not the actual school itself that will affect you.
Easiest way of explaining this is in MOBA terms, you have your carry, your support, feeder, pusher, escaper.

Carry- The very high achieving person mostly found in the higher ranked schools that will carry your moderated assessment marks if you don't come first. Very few in lower ranked schools.

Support- Gives notes/resources to class, otherwise not accessible in a lower ranked school.

Feeder- The guys that get the lower end of the marks and are not even considered outliers, that may drag your moderated assessment marks down. Again mostly found in lower ranked schools.

Escaper- 1st or equivalent value in internal rank that can get a free pass if they don't do aswell in the external exam.

Ehh theres a few others, but there are many many things that will affect your HSC marks, so there's no real disadvantage of being in a higher ranked school, but you can still get 99.95 in a lower ranked school, it's just a little bit harder without your hard carry's

Last edited:

Focus is Key

HSC
Technically if you come first in everything for your assessments and get a high HSC mark it will be fine. However, people saying school rank doesn't have an impact on atar is utter BS. At higher ranked schools you have a 'safety net'- this means that if you rank first at a higher school but then do horrible in the actual hsc or have an off day it's okay and your Atar probably won't be significantly affected. However, if you have an off day or something in the HSC exams at a lower ranked school your ATAR will plummet. Also the quality of teachers and resources differs with school. I had to work my ass off for atar in the low 90s at a 450+ rank school. At uni I am beating people who got like 97-98 so I think school definitely plays a factor.

That said, you can still achieve a really high atar. A girl just last year achieved 98.3- but she ranked first in everything and was borderline genius.

Focus is Key

HSC
Also yeah I know of stories like people getting 80s for assessment marks and getting horrible ATAR scores. Like my ancient teacher would give kids like 80-85% sometimes and they got a Band 2 for hsc. So yeah that does happen. I had heaps of friends that were consistently doing decently internally but got like 40-50.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Also yeah I know of stories like people getting 80s for assessment marks and getting horrible ATAR scores. Like my ancient teacher would give kids like 80-85% sometimes and they got a Band 2 for hsc. So yeah that does happen. I had heaps of friends that were consistently doing decently internally but got like 40-50.
I guess you could say Focus is Key ;)

FancyPenguin

HSC
I'm stuck with that terrible book as well.

Evidence:

that book cover is ugly, I have the 3u+2u prelim one which is freaking heavy and I only need it for 3u but is green with a cactus flower thing, but now my school has switched to online books so even though we use MIF we also have cambridge and other ones online.

As for OP's question school rank doesn't affect your ATAR as long as you can get top ranks. Dux of my school(rank 220's 2014, now ranked 170's) got an ATAR of 99.6 as he was first in all courses. If you put in the effort you can achieve almost any ATAR

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I left a note in my one before I returned it telling them not to use the textbook LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)