Does School affect Scaling much? (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Sorry but i think this question has been asked 534568343 times but does school affect scaling much? my internal marks are 98 2u maths 97 3u maths 95 chem 90 eng 95 business studies 80 Physics But my school is very low ranked..... what could i expectr for UAI? (Measure of how Crap my school is: Highest UAI last year = 80) (Highest UAI ever = 93.1)

rusticmetal

HSC
im not sure if the systems are the same, but the HSC/VCE versions sound very very similar. in the VCE, if you can rank at the top of your class, and get a very good exam result, you can get perfect scores. as long as you get top of your class(es), you get the top exam result (in that class) as your internal mark.

ignore this if the system is in fact different, i have never looked into the hsc, it just seems the same from your description

helper

HSC
N/A
Schools come into the assessment moderation but not scaling

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
If your school is shit then all that matters is your internal rank (presumably 1 for everything) then it's all down to your HSC marks.

The trade off if you're a smart person at a shit school is you're 100% in control of your results but with double the pressure in the external exams :D

(EDIT: This is without discussing the hidden effects of your school having less resources, a cohort that probably aren't into studying so they 'drag you down' (in the sense that they'll distract you rather than having 8 hour azn parent controlled studying sessions) and your teachers have low expectations and probably nfi how to help you prepare for the hsc, get into uni, etc. and obviously the fact that people at good schools know how to 'play the game' which is why they consistently get higher marks)

EDIT2: Holy shit your school's worse than mine was so you probably knew all that already :D

Last edited:

kloudsurfer

HSC
I go to a public school that not in the top 200 or anything. I keep hearing that if you come 1st in everything and go well in the HSC you can still get a decent UAI...

Ive still got one assessment period left, but im only coming 1st in 3 subjects, 2nd in one and 3rd in two...can i still get a good UAI (For my trials I came 1st in everyhting cept 2 subjects n which i came 2nd)? Im hoping to get into med so im looking at getting something high...

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
I go to a public school that not in the top 200 or anything. I keep hearing that if you come 1st in everything and go well in the HSC you can still get a decent UAI...

Ive still got one assessment period left, but im only coming 1st in 3 subjects, 2nd in one and 3rd in two...can i still get a good UAI (For my trials I came 1st in everyhting cept 2 subjects n which i came 2nd)? Im hoping to get into med so im looking at getting something high...
of course you can get good marks despite the ranking of your school. it all comes down to the student anyway. you've got awesome ranks and marks to back them up. study hard, keep it up, that's all you can do, and then you'll reap the benefits im sure! :)

emca

HSC
okey so you go to a shit school and I accept that there are conditions there that are adverse to your success as mentioned by a previous post. However, kids from shit schools do get into uni. Most importantly they do so on their own merit. Not because of a tutor at $90 per hour or because their school is better resourced. here is the good bit. Public school kids do better at uni. Why? because they have the capacity to succeed without all the extra assistance offered at private schools. they come to uni equiped with the skills to do the research to pass. I'm not making this up. Find the research done by Flavin from Macquarie University circa 1996. It outlines the drop out rate of uni students based on schools they graduated from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)