doing 4 tutoring classes (2 places) for maths (2 for 3u and 2 for 4u). Should I quit 1 place? (1 Viewer)

okeydonkey

HSC
Hi there, the title pretty much speaks for itself. I just joined Dr Du 3u and 4u maths last term and I can always barely catch up with the homework they give (2 very hard 20-page hw booklets; 1 for each 3u and 4u). It is just too much and on top of that, I have maths hw from another maths tutor of mine. I still have to do school work and tutor work for other subjects as well. The reason why I joined dr du in the first place is because for the new syllabus topics, the old tutor only gives the class textbook hw and I even found out that he got some basic concepts wrong. I have to admit that Dr Du notes and materials are exceptionally good but he puts in so much irrelevant stuff (like uni stuff) and a lot of things that are outside of the syllabus. I don't go to a selective school so I doubt if my school will ever put in those types of questions in our exams. If I quit, I think I will quit Dr Du because I take me almost 2 hours to commute back and forth and I don't really like Dr Du's teaching style as much as my other tutor though. However, his notes and hw booklets are really well written but again they contain too much irrelevant stufff. This is such a dilemma for me. Could anyone please give me some advice on this?

Thank you so so much!

Infntie

HSC
From your post it sounds like you know what to do but might need some reassurance :)

Your primary concern is that you are overburdened with math tutoring homework because of its length and (unnecessary) complexity/lack of relevance. This is compounded by an additional 2 hr commute and incompatible teaching style of Dr Du. However, you do appreciate the quality of the notes. You also like your current private tutor, and in particular their teaching style but they are not up to date with the syllabus.

Based on this, I would suggest pausing Dr Du for few weeks while also asking students/friends at Dr Du for notes (if possible) and continuing with your private tutor. This probably a compromise and will allow you to work out what is more important to your learning experience (content or teaching style). It also frees up time for you after school, whether to destress or to study something else.

You can then better decide what to do after a few weeks :)

idkkdi

HSC
Hi there, the title pretty much speaks for itself. I just joined Dr Du 3u and 4u maths last term and I can always barely catch up with the homework they give (2 very hard 20-page hw booklets; 1 for each 3u and 4u). It is just too much and on top of that, I have maths hw from another maths tutor of mine. I still have to do school work and tutor work for other subjects as well. The reason why I joined dr du in the first place is because for the new syllabus topics, the old tutor only gives the class textbook hw and I even found out that he got some basic concepts wrong. I have to admit that Dr Du notes and materials are exceptionally good but he puts in so much irrelevant stuff (like uni stuff) and a lot of things that are outside of the syllabus. I don't go to a selective school so I doubt if my school will ever put in those types of questions in our exams. If I quit, I think I will quit Dr Du because I take me almost 2 hours to commute back and forth and I don't really like Dr Du's teaching style as much as my other tutor though. However, his notes and hw booklets are really well written but again they contain too much irrelevant stufff. This is such a dilemma for me. Could anyone please give me some advice on this?

Thank you so so much!
Big brain, no tutoring, grind every question in the terry lee and Cambridge books. It's painful, but it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)