Doing physiotherapy in university (1 Viewer)

will_

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, i am graduating in 2012 and ive taken some interest in physiotherapy.

i would like to know if there are bonus points available for physiotherapy at usyd?
also, anyone whose currently doing the course, is the entire course done at the lidcombe campus?
whats the job prospects like and what pay is out there in the first year?

SpoonSamba

HSC
Hi my mums a physio and owns some physiotherapy clinics and I work at one of them.

There is an absolutely dire need for physios right now, you are guaranteed work after uni. There are no stafff anywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm not sure about bonus points or lidcombe.

I'm not 100% sure about pay straight out of uni, its pretty standard but goes up well and it is different depending on whether you are 4 yr trained or 5 yr trained. But generally physios earn a good wage. But its a lot of work.

Also most physio isn't sports physio, which is a common misconception. Its more rehabilitative and most of the work is in hospitals not clinics.

leekiss

HSC
Same. I know a person who struggled to get a job and is now stuck visiting old people's homes and doing 'exercise' with them. It's hard to find hospital and private practice jobs.

Since when is physio a 5 yr degree and why would they be paid more??

mash121

HSC
bonus points are not offered at sydney for physio, the whole course is a lidcombe campus, the job prospects are ok, i wouldnt say it guaranteed job straight out of uni but with good marks u wont have to look hard. the pay varies depending on employer i have heard that if ur being payed wages expect to be payed 55k straight out and work ur way to 80k but most senior physios do not work wages they are contracted meaning they work in a medical centre and get like 50% of what there patients pay the rest going to their employer, which means depending on how many patients u see u can make anywhere between 60-100k and also if u open ur own practice u can make alot more +120k.

source: i have family that works as a physio

patdoon

HSC
Same. I know a person who struggled to get a job and is now stuck visiting old people's homes and doing 'exercise' with them. It's hard to find hospital and private practice jobs.

Since when is physio a 5 yr degree and why would they be paid more??
agreed, the fact that physio is 5 years is utter crap, you can do a graduate physio degree in 2 years, ppl sstop making out physio that its more to be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)