Doing your own work. (1 Viewer)

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I'm just curious (hell, I'm saying that a lot these days to cover up for my blatant: I want to know now questions)... I just found out today that a lot of our D&T students got outside help in their work. And that some chick from another school, the day before the BOW was due, panicked and got someone to help her paint these figures (if I'm treading on any toes, or this sounds like you... I'm not really sorry, but I'll say I am).

Or people lying about what happened to their artworks? (Someone I know said her dad ran over it with the car when he was backing down the drive and got some sort of exemption, when in fact there was no other piece).Did anyone else have the same experience?

I'm just vaguely pissed off is all. (Note to cover my own ass: I'm not referring to collaboration projects where someone lacks the expertise to do a certain thing).

tash

lalalala
HSC
oh i don't like that. especially when people (like me and whoever else) spent so much time doing it all by themselves. there were a couple of girls in my class who helped another a little bit with one of her paintings and i was like 'go do your own freakin work', but really, that's dodgy as and i hope they feel really bad

KT_Boomsticks

there were a couple of people in my class who had loads of help, but justified their actions (eg. dad making half of it) to the teachers by using the old, what is art.. the aritist drives the ideas and doesnt have to 'make' every object. It pisses me off cause im a maker, hands on, wouldnt let anyone touch my work in a million years kind of girl.
I blame DUCHAMP

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
haha yeah like jeff koons who employs artisans and craftsmen to make his artworks

..but the board of studies says that you have to be the sole creator of an artwork for hsc art.

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Yeah, well. It should be sole creator - if it's for your HSC and your makr alone it makes sense that it should be an assessment of how much you can do, and your conceptual strength (etc.etc.) rather than someone elses...

Still annoyed.

Fortunately, for the sake of my pride and loose moral guidelines, they didn't do too well in internal assessments.

DC10

Yes i agree with what you've said, but then.... if you were that person, on the night before the due date, wouldn't you do the same thing? :apig: :rolleyes: ;)

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Should have organised their time better. And in the case of outright lying about how one of your works (non-existent) was "ruined" I really draw the line.

tash

lalalala
HSC
yeah that's pretty bad. there's a girl in the year below us who aparently didn't hand in her drama logbook cos it somehow got stuck with her dad's stuff and he went away to hong kong that day... mmm very realistic

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
In that sort of case we need a note from the parent saying it was done - and it has to be handed in the day after it was due (the note I mean).

Do you have some sort of late policy too? We get 10% deducted from the overall mark for every day it's late, until it's too late. :D

DC10

I'd agree with that. In my school - assessments in one day late incur a penalty of ALL marks. that means you would get zero for things handed in late.

KT_Boomsticks

yeah well the people who had 'help' in my class did really well, cause the teachers justified it 'don't ask me how' one of them ended up with the equal top marks in their prac assesment - so much for fairness. i still came first in art overall, so ha ha to their cheating bums, (not to gloat or anything)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
theres a guy at my school that plagerised.. oops, i mean 'appropriated' a work from the time magazine. he got top marks in the internal prac (his parents are friends with the art teacher). I think thats really really wrong! i hate how people can do this! if you appropriate a work you should have to send in a copy of the original with your work so the markers can determin just how much of it is yours and what is copied. he also had 'help' from the art teacher and his dad whose an art teacher. bloody hell!

spam police

Originally posted by MaryJane
theres a guy at my school that plagerised.. oops, i mean 'appropriated' a work from the time magazine. he got top marks in the internal prac (his parents are friends with the art teacher). I think thats really really wrong! i hate how people can do this! if you appropriate a work you should have to send in a copy of the original with your work so the markers can determin just how much of it is yours and what is copied. he also had 'help' from the art teacher and his dad whose an art teacher. bloody hell!
hmm i dunno the situation so i might be wrong but maybe his artwork was actually good..his parents being friends with the art teacher shouldn't mean he's not allowed to do well in case people think he's got 'special treatment'..

oh, and that's what the process journal is for- to stick in the original of the appropriation ;)

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
I think it's more like genius' have the right to steal because they're going to do something better with it??? *shrug*

spam police

you should use it in your essay! :p

pretend andy warhol or marcel duchamp said it ahaha..actually it works pretty well for duchamp, re: his found objects=art

allyteaded

WOW! I can't believe people really do this!! Argh! I hate it. *goes around with a knife ready to stab.*

I know I'm a very Last minute person but I did all my bloody work by myself in the last two months before it was due! The only part where I got help was when my teacher taught me how to use pastels and my dad figuring out how the heck to do auto run on a CD. The artwork, is mine. I declare it's entirely mine. Every single incy bincy piece. I didn't study for my trials just to get my BOW done, sometimes I didn't sleep, sometimes I didn't eat... well, no actually, I did eat, I always eat but yeah... I was locked up in my room doing all my bloody work by myself.

The hardest thing for me was finding an idea that would stick. What's even harder was that I was stupid enough to choose "series of works" which means I had to do three mediums. I should have stuck with digital or somefin, but then again, at least I had three to hand up.

Anyway, for those people who cheated, may their asses burn in hell.

Then again, the markers are EXPERTS. They have a very good eye and very good memories. And there are LOTS of them. So, if by chance you plagarised or you borrowed an image and 'appropriated" it, they will know, regardless of whether you put it in the journal or not. If say someone did anime/manga (something that's recent, not as known as other medias/themes) then they'd probably bring in an expert to determine whether your work is original. And it's big trouble for you if you did cheat or even low marks or zero marks. *evil laugh*

Justice will be served! *narrows eyes*

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)