Domestic Violence cases needed!! (1 Viewer)

barlow666

HSC
Gday all, i need some cases for my legal assiment, its not that hard but, i am finding it hard to find the cases and stuff like that!!

My teacher is houndding me for more! So please if you have any please let me now!!

Btw the essasy question is "How does the law respond to domestic violence? In your analysis, evaluate the effectiveness of legal and non legal mechanisms" so if you have any tips or cases that would help, that would be great if you could tell me

Thanks,
Barlow

Last edited:

Andybear2504

HSC
case studies for dometic violence:

there probably wudnt be actual like stories of domestic violence, but ive used these in my assingments and they've been great:

* Andrea Patrick, attempted to receive an AVO against her husband who she swore was dangerous. After she had received the AVO, he simply went to her home and killed her. Shows the ineffectiveness of AVOs - piece of paper won't stop someone.

* Karen Bell, Got AVO out against her husband in retaliation he got their children locked himself in his car with them and pumped the car full of gas killing them. Ineffectiveness - Again not adequate enforcement

* Jean Lennon, attempted to get a Family Court Injunction out against her dangerous husband, complained to police that he had threatened her and he had a gun, she was shot 3 times by her husband outside Parramatta Family Court. Ineffectiveness - Inadequate enforcement.

Sorry dint hav any effective ones haha :D

danielle93

HSC
I always use R v Hickey which was the first use of Battered Womans Syndrome in NSW.
Also R v McEwan which was the first sucessful use of Battered Womans Syndrome by a homosexual in Australia, which blends well if your doing same sex stuff in an essay as well.
Also mention the case of Jean Majdalawi (1996), she was shot down by her husband outside the Childrens Court and as a result police are now able to apply for ADVO's from a magistrate through the phone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)