• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Don't be under time! (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Ok this is a warning from a friend of mine, who went 30 seconds undertime and lost aprox 3 marks for it.

Her performance was flawless, and there would be no way she would have gotten under 29 if her performance was on time, but she ended up with a mark of 26, way under what she should have got.

I would have given her full marks without a second thought, she made me cry like a baby and she never once raised her voice.

The drama teacher was confused about the whole thing, as it says in the criteria that undertime pieces would be penalised but 30 secs overtime would be stopped. However, it wasn't specified exactly how far undertime would be penalised- 5 seconds, 15 seconds, you get me?

Anyway, let that be a lesson to all of us, to make sure we time our pieces and make sure that they are neither undertime or overtime.

My friend is a very talented actress, and knew she had worked too hard to lose at least 3 marks on timing.

Best of Luck
xx :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
how does she know what she got? is this for her hsc? but she does sound really good...its a shame something as small as that can affect so much ay.

NightShadow

HSC
she made you cry...and never raised her voice...maybe thats why she didn't get that great a mark...because she only had one emotion and didn't have variety in her monologue...

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
:uhhuh: It is true that you get penalised for going over time or undertime as it is seen as a breach of performance criteria. If they give you a time, you stick to the time. It's just like a word limit.

However I think that Alley may be using an in class assessment for her comparison as it is not possible to obtain information such as losing marks for going under time...let alone know how many.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Sorry i didn't make it that clear...
This girl did Angels in America for her HSC performance, really beautifully, Nightshadow, with plenty of emotion, just understated emotion, connected with the audience well, took a very clear journey, used minimal but effective movement and made most of the audience cry or remain silent for the break afterwards.
No-one, even our two drama teachers, one of whom had HSC marked before, could find ANYTHING wrong with it, they were all expecting her to get 100%, no question, and even make it to onstage, if she was lucky.
The girl came down afterwards, distraught and crying, saying that she was 30 seconds undertime.
We all hoped that the markers would see that this didn't diminish her performance, and take no or few marks off for it.
We were wrong, and when the marks came back, 26 was far too low for such a performance and the only thing any of us could think of was that it was undertime.
Trust me on this one, if you saw it you would agree with me, that performance was a full mark performance.
Take it as a warning to NOT GO UNDERTIME! They obviously take timing very seriously (bastards...)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
AlleyCat said:
They obviously take timing very seriously (bastards...)
Of course they do. It's criteria that we're marked on. And also shows the preparation the actor made for the performance because a piece that goes undertime is usually an organised one because they haven't timed it or bothered to learn it.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Skillo said:
Of course they do. It's criteria that we're marked on. And also shows the preparation the actor made for the performance because a piece that goes undertime is usually an organised one because they haven't timed it or bothered to learn it.
i feel really sorry for that girl but if you do go over or under time they can't not take marks away just because the performance was really good. that would be really unfair to other people who stayed within the time limits.
it is a bummer she was penalised but she should have realised before she did it that it would be undertime.
Skillo's right, it shows how much its been rehearsed and all that.
but it shows everyone else to really watch what theyre doing and time it as best as possible so it doesnt happen to them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)