Don't give me the crap that attendance counts!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Musk said:
as being a noser noob u are unaware that previous yrs can do wtf they wanna do, like alysums post in regards to ur lazy, filthy ungrateful generation. do the economy a favor, hang yourself
errrr. you're judging my generation on one person? lolz
and the way i read AsyLum's posts, they were referring to individuals, not a whole generation, each time.

/close thread

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I just looked over my school reports. I missed, in all my 6 years at high school, 11 days. This includes none in year 8 and none in year 12. I have a theory that if you don't enjoy learning then you shouldn't be going to uni. Leave that for the people that actually want to learn something, rather than "get a degree."

hannahxxx

HSC
They will imprint in your brain that attendance is important. But I think that if there's a particular reason for you missing a class e.g. the teacher is unreasonable, the classroom is too loud+not conducive of study or you've already covered the topics and would prefer to teach yourself then I think you're better off doing your work at home/in the library. Ducking in for class discussions and sheets is important, but honestly there's no point staying in a classroom where you feel uncomfortable and can't study.

HSC
Dumsum said:
I just looked over my school reports. I missed, in all my 6 years at high school, 11 days. This includes none in year 8 and none in year 12. I have a theory that if you don't enjoy learning then you shouldn't be going to uni. Leave that for the people that actually want to learn something, rather than "get a degree."
I never ever EVER said i didn't enjoy learning. My rant was I didn't like how teachers said we will surely fail vce if we don't have a certain amount of attendance. I do understand that the teachers meant well for us. But the reason why I wagged was half of my teachers suck and couldn't teach, and it would be more productive to study and get tuition at home rather than travel 80mins to and fro from school.

For that matter, I never skipped any of my sacs or mini-tests. I also realised that such wagging in uni will be insanely stupid whether lecturers can teach or can't.

FYI, I'm not just going to uni to "get a degree", I'm going to uni to do something I like. I'm definitely as concern about my future just as you are concerned with yours.

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
if you're smart/lucky enough to get through school decently by only going half the time then good for you. but you get more out of it (or out of anything, not just school) if you actually attend and get involved. i don't mean in the corny 'zomg school spirit go team!' way, but it's not that hard to rock up to school every day... it's not like it's a big ask to get up, get dressed and jump on the bus/train etc. if you don't want to be at school then drop out instead putting a half arsed effort into it. sorry, i just can't tolerate people who are like 'omg lol lyk i onli went 2 skool for lyk 3 days this yr n look how good i did lol lol' argh. it's not untrue that attendance correlates with results. some people just luck out.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Uhh, attendance does count. It's where you get the information. If you make an effort to participate, your teacher will be more willing to help you if you need it. God forbid teachers actually tell their students to attend class!

hannahxxx

HSC
dagwoman said:
Uhh, attendance does count. It's where you get the information. If you make an effort to participate, your teacher will be more willing to help you if you need it. God forbid teachers actually tell their students to attend class!
Yeah. But I reckon there are exceptions. E.g. my situation:
- legal studies teacher talked more about her own life than she did the course. We made complaints to the principal but nothing happened, so 50% of our class went to the library instead during the periods.
- my maths teacher always let the class get out of control. I couldn't study due to the noise, so I left. Consulted my tutor for help with problems.

Don't just look to the student to find the reason why their attendance is low. Some teachers won't get thrown out of schools no matter how many complaints are made. :(

Attendance will matter if you have a good teacher on your class who's interesting, encourages class discussion and speaks beyond what's in the textbook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)