Double degree in BEng(computer systems)/BSci(Physics) or Maths/BSci(Physics) (1 Viewer)

ScienceGuy99

HSC
My goal is to do an honours year and PhD in astrophysics and astronomy at ANU. I don't know what area yet... I have years to figure that out, but either theoretical or observational. My two program options for uni next year are BEng(computer systems)/BSci(Physics) or BMaths(Pure)/BSci(Physics). I've attached program plans of both.

My question: would a double degree in maths and physics be better for someone pursuing a PhD in astrophysics, or does the maths in the physics courses cover the maths required for a PhD program (keeping in mind the courses in general relativity, etc. that I'd do without having done courses exclusively in topology, linear algebra, DEs or PDEs (refer to program plan attached))?

If a maths degree isn't necessary, I would combine physics with computer systems engineering. Would this give me a larger advantage in my graduate research than a maths degree? e.g. advanced programming skills for simulation work, data processing, and the ability to construct any physical computer system necessary for research.

Thankyou! :)

sida1049

HSC
I can't see your attachments, but I don't think it should be too relevant.

It's far easier to learn enough scientific computing on your own than it is to learn mathematics. I recommend double majoring in physics and maths over the other option. I also don't see why you need to do a combined degree for the former option; you can just double major in physics and maths under B. Science.

Furthermore, if you're considering studying computing for the sake of scientific computing, double majoring in physics and computer science under B. Sci should be sufficient, rather than a combined degree.

I think the question you should ask yourself isn't whether it is necessary to obtain a formal mathematics training, but whether you want to. If you're considering pure maths, then you should not view it as some kind of a complement for an entirely different area of study.

ScienceGuy99

HSC
I can't see your attachments, but I don't think it should be too relevant.

It's far easier to learn enough scientific computing on your own than it is to learn mathematics. I recommend double majoring in physics and maths over the other option. I also don't see why you need to do a combined degree for the former option; you can just double major in physics and maths under B. Science.

Furthermore, if you're considering studying computing for the sake of scientific computing, double majoring in physics and computer science under B. Sci should be sufficient, rather than a combined degree.

I think the question you should ask yourself isn't whether it is necessary to obtain a formal mathematics training, but whether you want to. If you're considering pure maths, then you should not view it as some kind of a complement for an entirely different area of study.
I would much rather a double degree as it provides more time to complete the necessary maths courses.

My uni doesn't have an option to combine physics with computer science, either as a double major or double degree.

I want to obtain formal maths training if it will greatly assist in my future graduate courses in physics. But I'm just not sure if it's necessary to complete the maths courses in my undergraduate study, or if I can do some sort of graduate thing to get my maths skills up to par.

sida1049

HSC
I would much rather a double degree as it provides more time to complete the necessary maths courses.

My uni doesn't have an option to combine physics with computer science, either as a double major or double degree.

I want to obtain formal maths training if it will greatly assist in my future graduate courses in physics. But I'm just not sure if it's necessary to complete the maths courses in my undergraduate study, or if I can do some sort of graduate thing to get my maths skills up to par.
What do you mean there is no option to double major in physics and computer science? As long as you do the units required to major in each of them (and the ANU website states that you only need 48 units), you should be able to major in both under B. Science. The only reason why you wouldn't be able to major in both of them is if the number of (non-major) B. Sci requirements exceeds 48 units, which I can't see how.

If you are willing to extend your degree by a year to do additional maths units beyond a maths major, then you really have to study maths as an end in itself, and not a means to do physics. By that point, you'd be a better mathematics student than a physics student. Formal maths training will definitely help you with physics, but going through all the additional effort would probably not be worth it if you really just want to do physics. Doing a physics major already makes you someone who can do a fair amount of maths, and you can expect that if you need additional maths for a physics area of study, they'll tell you to enrol into that maths unit.

A double degree will give you at least another 48 units. That's quite superfluous, because you would have already finished your intended majors and ready to move onto your honours year. But let's suppose you study as much maths as possible (and not physics, because there are usually much more variety in maths units than physics units). Chances are, you'd run out of maths units to do after 24 of those units (and those would be the maths units you probably wouldn't really need for further physics anyway), leaving you with another 24 non-maths and non-physics units that you have to somehow fill up.

The only real benefit to doing a double degree in your case is if you try to major in physics, maths, and an additional major/minor in computer science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)