Double major (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Hey i was wondering if any one can tell me if you take a doule major with the commerce part of a commerce/law degree.

For example- Commerce (Accounting and Finance)/Laws

I realise this would be a hell of a lot of work and would take longer then the standard 5 yrs- but can it be done?

HSC
if you do a double degree like that one you usually only do one to finish within the five years. i suppose you can take extra subjects to satisfy both majors if you really want to but yes like you said it would take longer than 5 years.

T

Testpilot

I think you can, but i would involve extra overloading or longer at uni (maybe only an extra semester). I'm yet to start the commerce part of my degree, i may overload this session so i start. Accounting and Finance is a good combo. If you do anything else in commerce you may as well do an arts degree because that is how useful those majors are.

EDIT:If you are like me the faculty the degree belongs to (eg mine belongs to Engineering) will specify that you can't start your second degree until year 2. So be prepared to spend the first year doing purely law subjects.

HSC
business law is quite handy with a law degree too

yeah not sure how much longer it would take to do both majors, because accounting and finance are fairly similar i'm sure there would be some overlap.

HSC
difference is though, law is a 4 year degree while science and arts are both 3 years each. it's always possible, you would have to overload or do summer session or something if you wanted to finish within the five years. otherwise it will take longer.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
You definitely can. No problem whatsoever (unless admin fucks it up of course :) )

You're simply double majoring in commerce. The only thing which will change is that instead of saving some credit points because of the overlapping of the 2 degrees, you'll simply have to do some more subjects to earn the second major... but with you choosing major related subjects rather than free-choice electives, you might only have to do 6-12 more credit points if any at all.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Admins not that bad on changing or adding majors, i filled two forms for changes in majors and they did not mess a single thing up.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I changed a major and disappeared from the student registar, they found me, made me appear twice and tried to HECS me twice.... Give it time, they'll burn you eventually.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
If you have the commitment to do extra units in summer school you can squeeze that extra major into your commerce degree.
Just say you complete 2 units during every summer holiday, that would be 8 extra units you've completed by the start of your fifth year which is equivalent to 1 year.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
are you at our uni T-mac01? Because 2 units is 1/3 of a subject, unless you're talking 2 subjects which would make more sense, but that's almost impossible to do due to UOW's very restricted summer school subject availability.

And the extra major doesn't need to be squeezed in anyway... if you do the maths on what credit points you need for a degree, you'll usually find that if you do 'major subjects' instead of your designated 'electives' then you'll get your degree in the same time anyway, just without 4-6 free choice subjects.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Raiks said:
are you at our uni T-mac01? Because 2 units is 1/3 of a subject, unless you're talking 2 subjects which would make more sense, but that's almost impossible to do due to UOW's very restricted summer school subject availability.

And the extra major doesn't need to be squeezed in anyway... if you do the maths on what credit points you need for a degree, you'll usually find that if you do 'major subjects' instead of your designated 'electives' then you'll get your degree in the same time anyway, just without 4-6 free choice subjects.
Oh sorry. No I don't go to UOW and I meant 2 subjects.
I don't think dual majors will get you any electives so he wouldn't have the freedom to complete an extra major using possible electives which he wouldn't have. But I can imagine there would be quiet a few summer school subjects for 1st and second year commerce students especially for people who are doing combined degrees. But yea, if he is to take advantage of the summer school, he would have to do them pretty early in his degree.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Ok... might need to explain this.

Say a degree needs 144 credit points to be eligible for graduation. Most UOW courses only consist of say 116 credit points which contribute to the degree, leaving you 28 credit points to do any subject you wish, related to the degree or not. At UOW if you choose to do a double major, what happens is that you can use those 28 credit points as part of your major, so instead of having a 144 credit point degree + 48 credit point major, what will ultimately happen is you'll have a 164 credit point degree saving you 28 credit points or a semester and a bit of university.

Nearly every degree at UOW has electives, it's just that you can sacrifice those elective (general schedule) credit points as to pick up another major/minor.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
yep thats what im doing, filling in my electives with my second major subjects so it gives me credit for both majors + i reckon its good to do double major especially if you have a lot of electives in your degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)