dr du 3u entrance test (1 Viewer)

hqblues

HSC
was wondering if anyone would know what topics would be in this exam? i heard that there's differentiation/sequences and series but any ideas on what other topics? thanks in advance

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
was wondering if anyone would know what topics would be in this exam? i heard that there's differentiation/sequences and series but any ideas on what other topics? thanks in advance
I would say probably trig and probability would be addressed too.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Wow! You have to be good enough to be a student of Dr Du's.

But that is understandable. By weeding out sub-standard students, he's able to ensure a better outcome for his coaching centre. Also homogeneous cohorts are easier to teach. Also the school gains further reputation of being an elite coaching centre. Of course a centre has to be good enough to be able to impose such demands. I believe several of the more sought-after places also screen their students, like Ngo & Sons.

I suppose I'm only saying the obvious.

Last edited:

hqblues

HSC
Wow! You have to be good enough to be a student of Dr Du's.

But that is understandable. By weeding out sub-standard students, he's able to ensure a better outcome for his coaching centre. Also homogeneous cohorts are easier to teach. Also the school gains further reputation of being an elite coaching centre. Of course a centre has to be good enough to be able to impose such demands. I believe several of the more sought-after places also screen their students, like Ngo & Sons.

I suppose I'm saying only the obvious.
I was considering Ngo & Sons, however ultimately decided to opt for Dr. Du as I plan on enrolling into their physics and chemistry course.

I got accepted into his A2 class back in mid year 10, however left at the end of term 3 due to personal issues pertaining to my mental health. The entrance test then was difficult, so knowing that I may be behind on some topics or my skills have become rusty stresses me. :(

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Dr Du's maybe good at Maths tutoring, but are his Chem & Physics necessarily as good? Unless he is an expert in these himself, he'll have to depend on hired expertise to deliver those courses. If he gets good teachers, the offering should be good, and vice versa.

Salad Man

HSC
Uni Grad
Dr Du's maybe good at Maths tutoring, but are his Chem & Physics necessarily as good? Unless he is an expert in these himself, he'll have to depend on hired expertise to deliver those courses. If he gets good teachers, the offering should be good, and vice versa.
The best physics class is taught by a guy named Peter whose renowned for being 'the guy' when it comes down to teaching content. Chem on the other hand...

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Also, hqblues, with tutoring in 3 subjects, where are you going to find time to do your own studies? Just curious.

I remember a student of mine, apart from tutoring in maths, also went for tutoring in Physics, English and maybe another subject. It's so overwhelming work load! Remember, one has only 24 hours a day.

hqblues

HSC
The best physics class is taught by a guy named Peter whose renowned for being 'the guy' when it comes down to teaching content. Chem on the other hand...
I haven't finalised my classes, but I know I'm going to Dr. Du for 3U and physics since this year's results for those two subjects were good, but I'm still thinking about chem. Feel free to chuck some recommendations for chem! They'll be highly appreciated. P.S. Was eyeing Sigma or Zhang's but I doubt the former has any spots available.

hqblues

HSC
Also, hqblues, with tutoring in 3 subjects, where are you going to find time to do your own studies? Just curious.

I remember a student of mine, apart from tutoring in maths, also went for tutoring in Physics, English and maybe another subject. It's so overwhelming work load! Remember, one has only 24 hours a day.
Hypothetically saying that I was going to attend tutoring in 3 subjects, I'm taking this holiday to really solidify a study schedule that won't cause any detriments to my physical or mental health. I'm use to studying a lot since given my school's lack of good education, majority of 2019 has been self-studying, so I hope that'll allow me to balance the work load.

I wouldn't be applying for 3 subjects if my school's science and math's faculty was good, but it isn't. :(

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Hypothetically saying that I was going to attend tutoring in 3 subjects, I'm taking this holiday to really solidify a study schedule that won't cause any detriments to my physical or mental health. I'm use to studying a lot since given my school's lack of good education, majority of 2019 has been self-studying, so I hope that'll allow me to balance the work load.

I wouldn't be applying for 3 subjects if my school's science and math's faculty was good, but it isn't. :(
did you start studying for chem and math these holidays?

hqblues

HSC
did you start studying for chem and math these holidays?
Yeah. Currently using Cambridge’s 3U for questions and MIF 3U for better explanations, and Pearson’s chemistry textbook if you were wondering. Eddie Woo is a good Youtuber too when self studying.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Yeah. Currently using Cambridge’s 3U for questions and MIF 3U for better explanations, and Pearson’s chemistry textbook if you were wondering. Eddie Woo is a good Youtuber too when self studying.
what topics have you covered so far for math and chem these holidays?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I've tried to re-learn Chemistry (using Chemistry for the IB Diploma SL, Derry et al) and it's so different from when I first learnt it. I've read: 1) Atomic Structure, 2) Bonding and 3) Periodicity. About to embark on: 4) Quantitative Chemistry(Avogadro's const, mole, relative atomic mass, relative molecular mass, rel. formula mass, molar mass, ideal gas eqn, etc etc)

I'm doing this to find out how difficult Chemistry would be to self-study, having urged symio to do the subject. It's harder than I thought and very different from what I learnt.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)