• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

drop modern or economics? (1 Viewer)

HSC
from previous experiences, whats the subject load and exam like for modern vs economics? would be critical insight in helping me make my subject selections thank you

fridgmagnet

HSC
I'm doing both subjects for my HSC this year.

It's honestly a really personal choice but for me, I much prefer modern history to economics. I feel like if you're good at essay writing, modern hist is definitely easier content and the exam structure (although demanding), is easier to plan for in comparison to eco. There is just A LOT of content for eco and you need to make sure you have a strong grasp of key concepts and stats, especially since you have to do two essays that could be on pretty much anything in the syllabus. What are you doing better in atm though?

FesuY

HSC
from previous experiences, whats the subject load and exam like for modern vs economics? would be critical insight in helping me make my subject selections thank you
I dont do modern but ive heard it has a lot of essay writing and is pretty content heavy. I do economics, and eco is very content heavy so be prepared for that. Despite that, its probably my favourite subject cause its really interesting and really relevant in todays world.

Life'sHard

HSC
Eco was a breeze, had to drop it cause it wasn't asian enough hahaha. Plus science is more fun imo. But fr, if you pay attention, dont fall behind and consistently keep up to date with all the work you're assigned with for eco it really isnt that much of a struggle. Much like math's reverting back to fundamentals is the same with eco. Supply and demand is one of the main principles of eco, literally most things in eco follow a similar pattern. Having being able to link it with whatever you write about is an important skill. If you can do that, scoring really well for eco can be achieved.

HSC

It's honestly a really personal choice but for me, I much prefer modern history to economics. I feel like if you're good at essay writing, modern hist is definitely easier content and the exam structure (although demanding), is easier to plan for in comparison to eco. There is just A LOT of content for eco and you need to make sure you have a strong grasp of key concepts and stats, especially since you have to do two essays that could be on pretty much anything in the syllabus. What are you doing better in atm though?
marks wise, quite similar

HSC

So im really struggling to keep up with eco yr 11 content and it doesnt help that my eco teacher sometimes makes the content sound like a bore, whilst mod teachers is great. Would you be able to go through why modern is easier to plan for in comparison to eco? And do you think it would be okay to balance mod chem eng ext and maths ext 2? and also do u know of the scaling comparing mod and eco? I think mainly I leaned towards eco because of higher scaling (?) but I dont think ill do well lol... thoughts? also good luck this year!

Hiheyhello

HSC
So im really struggling to keep up with eco yr 11 content and it doesnt help that my eco teacher sometimes makes the content sound like a bore, whilst mod teachers is great. Would you be able to go through why modern is easier to plan for in comparison to eco? And do you think it would be okay to balance mod chem eng ext and maths ext 2? and also do u know of the scaling comparing mod and eco? I think mainly I leaned towards eco because of higher scaling (?) but I dont think ill do well lol... thoughts? also good luck this year!
i wish i could tell you that modern’s a breeze, but i’m personally finding it just as much work as eco coz there’s a hella lot of content

but under ur circumstances it sounds like
modern’s deffos the way to go.
if ur not loving prelim eco, forget the scaling and drop it asap coz it’ll only get worse

fridgmagnet

HSC
i wish i could tell you that modern’s a breeze, but i’m personally finding it just as much work as eco coz there’s a hella lot of content

but under ur circumstances it sounds like
modern’s deffos the way to go.
if ur not loving prelim eco, forget the scaling and drop it asap coz it’ll only get worse
I agree, honestly, I think you should stick to mod if you enjoy it more. I had the same issue between modern and business studies, dropped biz cause I didn't find it as interesting and ended up going rlly well in modern. So I'd say do whatever you think you could see yourself enjoying the most. Good luck :)

johnathanm

HSC
Thanks for this information. Very interesting solutions about modern economics. But all of this is not a solution in our time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)