Dropping Extension English? (1 Viewer)

jc82379

HSC
Hi, I'm currently 4-5 weeks into Year 11 and I'm considered dropping Extension English. I don't find it enjoyable and I would much rather take a relief subject like sport or photography. However, I hope to get an atar around 97-98 and without Extension English these are my subjects for y12:
Advanced Maths
Extension Maths
Advanced English
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History

In terms of scaling and the level of performance I would require, is it feasible to do these subjects if I aim to get a 97-98 atar? Or should I keep Extension English for scaling purposes? I definitely believe I have the skills to be successful in Extension English, I just worry about Extension English increasing my workload and affecting my performance in other subjects.

I would appreciate any advice.

Carl10101

HSC
Yep I think you could easily get a 99+ atar with those subjects.

I dropped Extension English in Year 11 even though I was getting 85+ in my tasks, mainly because I found the content way too depressing and negative for me.

_rakelt

HSC
I think getting that 97+ atar without english extension is feasible with those subjects, seeing that your spending more time on those specific subjects and removing a subject that you don't find enjoyable is a good move I reckon.

vinlatte

HSC
Hi, I'm currently 4-5 weeks into Year 11 and I'm considered dropping Extension English. I don't find it enjoyable and I would much rather take a relief subject like sport or photography. However, I hope to get an atar around 97-98 and without Extension English these are my subjects for y12:
Advanced Maths
Extension Maths
Advanced English
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History

In terms of scaling and the level of performance I would require, is it feasible to do these subjects if I aim to get a 97-98 atar? Or should I keep Extension English for scaling purposes? I definitely believe I have the skills to be successful in Extension English, I just worry about Extension English increasing my workload and affecting my performance in other subjects.

I would appreciate any advice.
If you're planning to keep extension math, the more you shouldn't keep extension english. Having 14 units is way too much for your prelims.

I also chose both ext in yr 11, but I dropped ext english the moment I saw my timetable. I would have barely any free time and I felt the stress before even starting the content. My friend also had both ext and kept it until term 3 when they burned out terribly.

It's not ideal to keep it for scaling purposes. As long as you are consistent with effort, you can still get good marks in any subject, even the ones with low scaling.

ultra908

HSC
A 97-98 atar is possible with any subjects... MX2, visual art, whatever. Don't keep a subject for scaling purposes.
If you feel you won't perform well in ext eng or the content is thoroughly unenjoyable, i'd say drop it. 14 units is alot, and basically unsustainable in yr12.
Then again, its quite early in the year so maybe you can wait another couple of weeks to decide which subject you truly dislike and want to drop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)