Dropping subject in Year 12 (1 Viewer)

mayb0403

HSC
Hi guys, I am currently in year 11. My subjects are Maths 2U, EALD, Design and Technology, Industrial Technology and Multimedia, Biology and Chemistry. I will drop a subject next term but I am considering between Chemistry and ITM. My rank for Chemistry is 8/17 and I think I am decent at it, however my teacher is not very good at teaching and i dont know if that would affect my studying. For ITM, I like the subject. However, I kinda hate technology and I don't know if I should do 2 major projects for HSC. Please help me I am so stuck 😢 😢 😢

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Hello there,
Also in Year 11 and you seem to be having the same dilemma I was facing a few days ago. (Deciding between 4U Maths or Chem, I chose Chem :O)
Anyways, you seem to be a 'creative' student since you're taking a wide range of subjects in various industries. Chemistry gets really specific in Yr 12, definitely hard if you don't persevere, but it depends on your personality. If you're the type of person to grind out study sessions, be easily motivated to work daily, and be willing to pay money for tutors, choose Chemistry.
BUT
If you like assignment-based subjects which you have a lot of time, thought and creativity to put into it, choose ITM. Personally, I would choose chemistry since a strong textbook, tutor (if possible) and dedication can get you far, especially with its scaling. Many courses provide bonus points for chemistry so yeah.

TBH, I don't have a chem tutor because I already have one for 3U and physics but tbh, if I worked much harder, procrastinated 20% less, I wouldn't even need a tutor. It's just good to get ahead of the content.

Hopefully this helps, dw if you can't come to a decision today, or tomorrow, or in a week. It took me 2 weeks and a couple of hours to determine between 4U and chem. Time, that's all it takes. :)

mayb0403

HSC
Hello there,
Also in Year 11 and you seem to be having the same dilemma I was facing a few days ago. (Deciding between 4U Maths or Chem, I chose Chem :O)
Anyways, you seem to be a 'creative' student since you're taking a wide range of subjects in various industries. Chemistry gets really specific in Yr 12, definitely hard if you don't persevere, but it depends on your personality. If you're the type of person to grind out study sessions, be easily motivated to work daily, and be willing to pay money for tutors, choose Chemistry.
BUT
If you like assignment-based subjects which you have a lot of time, thought and creativity to put into it, choose ITM. Personally, I would choose chemistry since a strong textbook, tutor (if possible) and dedication can get you far, especially with its scaling. Many courses provide bonus points for chemistry so yeah.

TBH, I don't have a chem tutor because I already have one for 3U and physics but tbh, if I worked much harder, procrastinated 20% less, I wouldn't even need a tutor. It's just good to get ahead of the content.

Hopefully this helps, dw if you can't come to a decision today, or tomorrow, or in a week. It took me 2 weeks and a couple of hours to determine between 4U and chem. Time, that's all it takes. :)
omg thank you so much. The only problem is I also choose biology which is super heavy content. And I was thinking if it was too hard to choose 2 science subjects. So now I am stuck between either 2 major projects or 2 science subjects lmao. I am currently having a chem tutor as well so maybe I think it would help if I could get ahead of the content during the holiday or something so the workload would be reduced in year 12

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
omg thank you so much. The only problem is I also choose biology which is super heavy content. And I was thinking if it was too hard to choose 2 science subjects. So now I am stuck between either 2 major projects or 2 science subjects lmao. I am currently having a chem tutor as well so maybe I think it would help if I could get ahead of the content during the holiday or something so the workload would be reduced in year 12
Yep, 2 major projects is a lot imo. 2 science subjects actually go hand-in-hand for like 5-10% of the content, from my experience with Physics and Chemistry (Thermodynamics, Rate of Reaction, particles, etc.) Since I'm not the type of person that likes assignments which determine 50-60% of your grade in one go, I would choose 2 sciences but honestly, just use online flashcards like anki for biology and that's easy dubs.

Chemistry requires way more time in understanding concepts instead of a take-home assignment. If you're a person who understands new concepts easily through practice and kinda procrastinates on major work, then chem.

Super sorry if I'm being biased with trying to make you choose chem but like, it's honestly the superior subject in general if you're uncertain with what career path you want to take. Decently-high risk, high rewards. (Also, if you like assignments/"projects", we got depth studies so... hopefully, that will suffice :/

If you ever need more personal advice, start a conversation with me and I'll try and help out more if you need it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)