• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Dual degree (BEng/BSc) - most useful science major for me? (1 Viewer)

horizons

HSC
Hi guys im interested in studying chemical engineering at university next year and also want to do a double degree with a bachelor of science.
However Im having a hard time deciding what major would be the most useful.....any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Possible Majors (that interest me):
Biochemistry and Molecular biology
Biomedical science
Chemistry
Maths
Physics

My primary interests as a chemical engineer will be working in the biochemical/biomedical, pharmaceutical or fuels industry.
Cheers

Morbo

HSC
I think you've already answered your own question. Keep in mind, you may not get the amount of science electives in your program required to fufill many of those majors unless you either spend an additional semester(s) at uni, or do more than 4 courses per semester. So look for the program plans for each uni your interested in, most can be found in the handbooks of each uni.
At UNSW, you are given only 10 science electives the B Eng/B Sci program and that may only be enough for either a Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics major. Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Pharmacology/Toxicology (among others) will require you to do units from both Biological Sciences and Chemical Science and this means you must do many more science electives.

horizons

HSC
Morbo said:
I think you've already answered your own question. Keep in mind, you may not get the amount of science electives in your program required to fufill many of those majors unless you either spend an additional semester(s) at uni, or do more than 4 courses per semester. So look for the program plans for each uni your interested in, most can be found in the handbooks of each uni.
At UNSW, you are given only 10 science electives the B Eng/B Sci program and that may only be enough for either a Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics major. Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Pharmacology/Toxicology (among others) will require you to do units from both Biological Sciences and Chemical Science and this means you must do many more science electives.
ah ok thanks mate, ill keep that in mind.

Assuming that you could major in all the areas listed, which ones do you think will be the most useful majors in my situation?

Morbo

HSC
At UNSW, you won't be required to enter a Science major when enrolling so you can do whatever science electives you want. So maybe first year you may want to only do Chemistry courses and then second year you choose to do Biology courses. Keep in mind, the program plan is only a guide, you can do the units required in any order if you wish but some courses are only offered at certain times of the year and you may be required to complete prerequisites for later courses.

Have you considered a major in Pharmacology? It will require you to do some units of Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry and many more. It focuses on the study of the chemistry of drug design and its function in the human body. It is not however a substitute for Pharmacy.

If you were particularly interested in fuel, you may choose to do Petroleum and Mining Engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)