dvd's onto video ipod (1 Viewer)

does anyone know how to transfer ripped dvd's onto the video ipod?

i've read that you have to get a program to get the dvd's ripped & a program to turn the file into mp4, but im not completely sure on how to do it and what programs to look for.

can anyone refer me to any free programs that could help me in transferring my dvd's to my ipod??

thanx

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
u could've just said "how to transfer a perfectly legal dvd copy onto video ipod for 'back up' purposes". *wink wink*

BradCube

HSC
Yeah, you will need a program to rip the DVD onto your Hard Disk. I use one called DVDDecyptor but it has since gone commercial so I don't know what other alternatives there are out there.

Other then that, it was my understanding that Apple included software with the IPod video to convert it into the correct format. Hopefully it should be able to read your ripped files and convert them for you.

If that doesn't work try grabbing a freeware program called DVD2AVI. It should allow you to convert your ripped files straight to .mp4. It can be a bit difficult to use though and probably requires that you understand some basic principals of video.

Anyway, hope that helps in some regard, lol. I would just use the software that Apple gave you (if they did) since it is bound to be more user friendly.

AntiHyper said:
u could've just said "how to transfer a perfectly legal dvd copy onto video ipod for 'back up' purposes". *wink wink*
yeh the dvd's i want to put on the ipod are legal copies, so i should be allowed to put them onto my ipod.

i dont think i received any software from apple..
So are these (dvd2avi) free? hehe cos i dont have a credit card and i dont exactly have anymore money:(

Last edited by a moderator:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
you want dvd to mov/m4v/mp4 because I don't think ipod video can play avi.

I've searched around and I can't find anything that hasn't falsely advertised it to convert properly (ie it says it will convert it to ipod when really it just moves it to the ipod and not really change the format) or that it costs anything.

Chances are, if you find freeware that successfully puts your legally purchased dvds onto your ipod, the software will watermark it (put an annoying sign about its software when you view your dvd on your ipod).

If you find one, do let me know. It's hard to filter throught the craziness when I searched on google. Then again, I'm not a computer wiz.

Also, I am assuming that apple software you are referring to is seperately purchased, giggles869.

ur_inner_child: yeh ive downloaded a program that converts video's to mp4's, but yeh as u mentioned it had a watermark on it, like right through the middle it was so annoying.
anyhoo i found another program Videora http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/, can anyone tell me if its the right one cos i seriously dont know what the hell im looking for, cos yeh im not that smart with computers.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Very easy to use and...I think I just got a serial number from teh internet

sunny

meh.
HSC
giggles869 said:
yeh the dvd's i want to put on the ipod are legal copies, so i should be allowed to put them onto my ipod.
You would be suprised to know that until recently in Australia it has always been illegal to make a copy of anything (CDs, DVDs, recording free-to-air TV, copying those CDs you bought into your iPod, etc), even if you legally bought and own the original copy. We didn't have any "fair use" laws. I don't know whether the new laws have been passed to allow people to do personal back ups.

yeh.. ive read somewhere that we are allowed personal back ups now, but i dont think we are allowed to put it onto ipods

BradCube

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
you want dvd to mov/m4v/mp4 because I don't think ipod video can play avi.
lol, bahh what was I thinking? lol. I think I thought that Mp4 was the same as Microsofts MPEG-4 avi codec. Don't know what was going through my brain. Sorry about the confusion.

I found a program that can do it for you for free called videora. http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

Let me know how it goes as I don't have an Ipod video.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)