Early Entry Law Notre Dame! (1 Viewer)

StephanieMit

HSC
Hi Everyone,

I just finished the HSC and I've been accepted at Notre Dame for Law early entry. I just wanted to ask some questions:
1) How many students in a class?
2) Is there tutorials or is it just seminars?
3) How long are the seminars?
4) For work placement, do you go during your first year and are you guaranteed employment after you leave the uni?
5) How many days do you go to uni?

Thanks!

enoilgam

HSC
Keep in mind, I only did Law at ND for a short while a few years ago, so take my answers with a grain of salt:

1) It depends on the class, but usually around 30-40. The Law school is expanding, so it might be a bit more, but I still think they would break them all up.

2) It's pretty much all seminars, hence the relatively small class sizes.

3) The seminars are about three hours and I found most except maybe Criminal Law to be quite boring. But it was moreso the content, the seminars were quite interactive. Legal History however was excruciating - imagine a 60+ year old guy droning on about English legal systems. That pretty much spelled the end for me in Law school.

4) Placement is in the penultimate/final year and this is something you have to source on your own. You are far from guaranteed employment and that goes for all sectors - the graduate market is extremely tough. That being said, if you score a clerkship with a big time firm, chances are you will receive an offer (Law firms usually aim for 100% retention of clerks). Clerkships are extremely competitive - you need a D average to be competitive, plus law experience, ECs and personality. A North Shore/Eastern suburbs pedigree and/or connections are also very helpful.

5) Depends on your timetable/what you combine it with, but usually 4 days.

nicmasi

HSC
hi, im applying for early entry to law, as well, i was just wondering if u could tell me what your marks were in your year 12 semester 1 report, and final year 11 grades, also what else did you put in your application?

Softwarehack

HSC
I also applied for early entry at ND. Any news when and where or if the interviews happen? And also acceptance dates. It says September but when in sept?

Levity

HSC
Just got my call last Wednesday 19/8 for an Interview and am going tomorrow Monday 24/8.

Angel_HSC

HSC
Wow heaps must of applied for that... I know law interviews started like 5-6 weeks ago :O

HSC
Like I said, Got a text during trials, and scheduled my interview for this afternoon due to being able to get to the interview etc.

HSC
130 applied for law
Didnt get in unfortunately,
Interviewer told me to change preferences to a bachelor of commerce / bachelor of arts and I'd get straight in...
another university offer, another 2nd preference course

Angel_HSC

HSC
WHAT your's is offical?? I called them and said they ain't confirming anything until mid - late September...

HSC
Nah, but my interviewer told me...he is pretty high up... told me if i wanted law id need a 90.00 atar, and hed recommend me for main round...then he said that he wants me to apply for a course other than law and transfer, so he said commerce or arts and then transfer over... current predicted is 84.25, and he said that 130 applied for law, last year was 70 and he said i would of gotten into law last year... hahah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)