EAS priority? (1 Viewer)

QuaCk

Hi, I scored 90.10 and have successfully applied for EAS at uSyd. I want to apply for B Comm which at present has a cut-off of 95.05 so with my EAS it would raise my UAI up to 95.10. The thing i'm wondering is that ... is there a set number of applicants they must accept through the EAS scheme? or do they only accept me if they numbers of applicants with the proper UAI marks don't fulfil the set numbers?

-QuaCk

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Most uni's set aside about 5% of places for EAS applicants. Of these EAS applicants those with the highest UAI's will get into the course.

clancy04

Sorry to burst your bubble, Quack, however there is almost no chance for you getting into B Comm at UNSW with 90.10. Firstly, although UNSW specifically sets aside a certain number of solely ACCESS successful candidate places in the B Comm [and almost all other courses] [usually 5% or a predetermined no.], and these ACCESS places accomodate for [in theory] a *bonus* of up to 5 UAI points, the reality is that the places which are set aside are quickly [surprisingly so] filled up by people with UAIs only marginally below the cutoff. Case in point: the B Comm/ LLB at UNSW had a 2004 cut-off of 99.35, right, however the ACCESS cut-off was exactly 98.00. This means that if you had got a UAI of 97.95, and your whole family had been brutually assassinated in front of your eyes, (thus obtaining for you the full 5 point [in theory] consideration) you would fail to gain entry. So the reality [cold and hard, methinks?] is that for you to have been successful in gaining entry in to B Comm at UNSW for 2004 [with full ACCESS appointed] you would have needed at the very least exactly 93.25( 2005 UNSW Prospectus Booklet figures, p38]. And keep in mind for 2005 this figure will probably increase to about 93.5. So you probably missed out by at least 3 [possiby even 4] UAI points. Sorry.

This could contain errors...for those I apologise in advance.

However, Quack, although UNSW does not offer full-fee places for Commerce alone. Sydney uni does - from memory the cut-off was 90.x [check ur uac booklet]. And remember FEE-HELP is coming into play....

Last edited by a moderator:

QuaCk

i was talking about uSyd .... i think
but thanks for the input anyhow.

Acid

HSC
I got 97.7 - do i have any chance of getting into Comm/Law at UNSW?

clancy04

HECS UAI cut-off was 99.35, the HECS ACCESS was 98.
Bad luck

clancy04

Yes it was.

Acid, maybe if you absolutely ripped up english, and the english extensions, in conjunction with ACCESS and a bombardment of letters to UAC and UNSW pleading [PLEADING!!!!!!] for consideration, they might....might....trial you.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
UNSW and Syd work on a sliding scale i.e. they have an alternate access uai for each course, where as ANU just drops the uai by five and you compete that way.

Any other ACCESS applicants applied for law ANU and got over 90?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Sydney's UAI cutoffs will probably drop as with UTS cause their the only ones increasing fees in Sydney region, so you might still get in, but check the EAS handbook for more info

mm87511

HSC
how abt me, i hv 95.1 and applied for 5 EAS points..things like parents divorce,domestic violence(physical abuse),medical condition(big operation in yr12),youth allowance and less than 5yrs in aus..

and i am hoping for optometry in UNSW,a uai abt 98.sth
or law/commerce ANU, 95

aditya

HSC
u wunt get into optemtry... its heaps tight like less than .5 leverage... bad luck with that... but yeh anu ur in .... obviousli... u got more than the actual cut off lol.... y do u go around advertising ur disadvantages anyway :S

regardles.s... im in teh same boat as the person that started this thread.. but in another thread someone with actual knowledge said that the usyd cutoff actualli dropped by the full 5... so if it doesnt rise again... which it very might well.. then u have a great chance of getting in... hence put it down as a preference...and also jsut thoguth id mention it to u... the commerce/engineering degree is also an option... i figure that it might not be as popular amongst the 500 eas applicant winners... so basicalli u can do something like software engineering / commerce - because sydney will still let u do 2 majors in commerce despite it beign a double degree.. which ofcourse is awesome...

JohnDee

HSC
N/A
Hey all,

I got 74.75, and I'd really like to do civil at UTS. As you can tell, I missed the cutoff by what is likely going to be only a couple of UAI points. I'm going to apply for special admission into the course because of my mums critical illness through the hsc period, and the fact i had to look after my siblings for alot of the time when my parents were overseas getting treatment. Can anybody accurately tell me my chances of making it in?

BTW, I've been trying to change my preferences, and does anybody know why UWS engineering courses keep coming under "cancelled" in the UAC website? (please dont tell me they got canned!)

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this guys

za

HSC
HECS UAI cut-off was 99.35, the HECS ACCESS was 98.

i got 99.2, so my chances of gettin into sydney or nsw for combined law are fairly high?

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
JohnDee said:
Hey all,

I got 74.75, and I'd really like to do civil at UTS. As you can tell, I missed the cutoff by what is likely going to be only a couple of UAI points. I'm going to apply for special admission into the course because of my mums critical illness through the hsc period, and the fact i had to look after my siblings for alot of the time when my parents were overseas getting treatment. Can anybody accurately tell me my chances of making it in?

BTW, I've been trying to change my preferences, and does anybody know why UWS engineering courses keep coming under "cancelled" in the UAC website? (please dont tell me they got canned!)

id say u would get ur points coz a family emergency usually does.....firstly u didnt have as much time to study and also u had ur mother to worry abt and u were under stress.......so apply for it and u should have no trouble making it in.....also if u cant get in......choose a course that is similar to the one u want and then later u can transfer into the one u want as long as u maintain a credit average.....my frined got 5 points from USYD coz the death of her grandad affected her.....so uve got pretty good chances of having ur application accepted........good luck with everything.....:)

JohnDee

HSC
N/A
Cheers,

I've been freaking out so much since I've been deadset on getting that since the HSC started; it's a real encouragement to hear that, so thanks alot!

smallcattle

HSC
JohnDee said:
Hey all,

did u apply for EAS but??

most uni has closed to accept anymore EAS applications, UTS is one of them.

JohnDee

HSC
N/A
NOOOOO.. far out!! I just got back from overseas, do you think theres any way they'd accept it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)