Eco vs Bio vs Ext Science (1 Viewer)

ThunderMonkey14

HSC
I'm currently on 15 units (2 are accelerated but was for Investigating Science so is not very good for atar). I currently do Ext 2 Maths, Advanced English, Chem, Bio, Eco and Extension Science. I really want to drop either economics or ext science or both as I have a lot of units right now. However I'm unsure on whether to drop Ext Science because if Ext 2 maths is too hard I'd like to keep it as a 1 unit subject to make up 10 units. However as of yet I do not have an idea for the major research task required for the course. I also wanted to drop Economics for a majority of year 11 but now I'm getting second thoughts about Eco vs Bio. Ideally in year 12 I'd like to do Ext 2 Maths, Advanced English, Chem and Bio but should I keep Economics/Ext Science right now or should I drop.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In making an informed decision, you should consider your performance in your subjects throughout year 11. In particular, you should consider whether your standard of performance in Economics could justify keeping it instead of Science Extension. However, given your comments, it seems like Economics did not appeal to you and/or your performance was not as good as you would have wanted it to be compared to your other subjects.

You seem like a student who is interested in studying medicine. If this is the case, it would be more rational to keep Biology as opposed to Economics given its relevance (alongside Chemistry) to the Doctor of Medicine. From this perspective, Economics does not make a relevant contribution.

The only advantage that Economics has over Science Extension is the unit value. Economics is a 2 unit subject whereas Science Extension is a 1 unit subject. This means that in the event of favourable performance, Economics can make a more positive contribution to your ATAR than Science Extension.

Both the combination where you drop Mathematics Extension 2 and Economics and the combination where you drop Economics and Science Extension means that you will keep 10 units. The first combination can be characterised by the following:
  • Advantage - You would not need to worry about Mathematics Extension 2 and its difficulty. The additional time gained from dropping this subject can subsequently be allocated towards your other subjects.
  • Disadvantage - While you would not be taking Mathematics Extension 2, you would be focusing on more subject areas than you would if you chose the second combination, which could be more challenging.
The second combination can be characterised by the following:
  • Advantage - You will be taking Mathematics Extension 2, which is a high-scaling subject. While scaling is not a primary consideration, it remains relevant in this context.
  • Advantage - You would be focusing on less subject areas than you would if you chose the first combination.
  • Disadvantage - Mathematics Extension 2 is definitely a challenging subject, although this does not mean that you cannot perform well in this subject and consequently negate this disadvantage.
Additionally, whether you need a backup unit(s) can be questioned because you appear to be determined to achieve favourable results in year 12, meaning that you may likely not need backup units to begin with.

Alternatively, you could keep your current subject combination as it is and allow yourself a bit more time to experience more aspects of your subjects before making the final decision.

I hope this helps! :D

hornsbystudylad

HSC
N/A
from the standpoint of someone who does 10u of similar subjects (m4u, eng adv, chem, bio) and having dropped Ecos last year, I reckon you should drop both [scream, shock, horror] if confident, or if not, drop sci ext only.

Or if you like both bio and eco subjects (i personally could not bear Ecos) drop bio and sci ext [AND KEEP ECOs] as bio kinda scales bad (which I have to deal with i guess)

A few teachers have told me over and over that 4u scales really well and that it is better for a mediocre student who is able to score 40-70% in 4u to take 4u, so I don't doubt your ability to do well and need that backup subject. Sometimes if you're confident enough, take that 10u so you maximise time, but if you're not so sure or your school is meh on that issue, keep eco (it scales better and it can cover another unit that you may lose in from your ten).

good luck!

doubleangleformulas

HSC
I'm currently on 15 units (2 are accelerated but was for Investigating Science so is not very good for atar). I currently do Ext 2 Maths, Advanced English, Chem, Bio, Eco and Extension Science. I really want to drop either economics or ext science or both as I have a lot of units right now. However I'm unsure on whether to drop Ext Science because if Ext 2 maths is too hard I'd like to keep it as a 1 unit subject to make up 10 units. However as of yet I do not have an idea for the major research task required for the course. I also wanted to drop Economics for a majority of year 11 but now I'm getting second thoughts about Eco vs Bio. Ideally in year 12 I'd like to do Ext 2 Maths, Advanced English, Chem and Bio but should I keep Economics/Ext Science right now or should I drop.
I would probably drop extension science

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)