ECON1003 vs MATH1901/1902 (1 Viewer)

egress

HSC
Has anyone here done ECON1003? I emailed the school a while back about the level of the maths in the course, and specifically, about how the difficulty of it compared to MATH1901/1902. In their reply, they said "[t]he difficulty of the maths in both units is probably comparable". Today, however, I took a look at the lecture notes on blackboard, and it seems that over half of the course (weeks 1 - 7) is just using HSC maths, which doesn't sound too interesting, and I'm 99% convinced that their reply is inaccurate. The applications part of the course still sounds good, but I'm not sure if it justifies not moving forward with maths for 2 months.

If anyone could weigh in about the merits of the unit, or whether I should consider a switch, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Obviously MATH 1901/1902 is much more comprehensive than ECON1003 especially when the assumed knowledge is Maths Ext2.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Has anyone here done ECON1003? I emailed the school a while back about the level of the maths in the course, and specifically, about how the difficulty of it compared to MATH1901/1902. In their reply, they said "[t]he difficulty of the maths in both units is probably comparable". Today, however, I took a look at the lecture notes on blackboard, and it seems that over half of the course (weeks 1 - 7) is just using HSC maths, which doesn't sound too interesting, and I'm 99% convinced that their reply is inaccurate. The applications part of the course still sounds good, but I'm not sure if it justifies not moving forward with maths for 2 months.

If anyone could weigh in about the merits of the unit, or whether I should consider a switch, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks :)
ECON1003 is several times easier than 1901 or 1902.

To give you an idea, I entered the ECON1003 examination with a total of roughly 6 hours of study the entire semester (3 of which were from the night before to learn the essential formulas).

Made up the most incredible bullshit in the examination. Students were expected to derive and deduce concepts of economics from theory in lectures whereas I just made up whatever made sense based on the formulas (with a bit of tinkering around) I learned the night before.

Walked out of the exam expecting a pass.

Few weeks later, received a letter from the head of the School of Economics congratulating me and a mark in the high 90's (I don't remember exactly what it was now).

Unless you've got a solid background in Mathematics before University, you can do no such thing for 1901 or 1902.

egress

HSC
Thanks for weighing in, guys.

Obviously MATH 1901/1902 is much more comprehensive than ECON1003 especially when the assumed knowledge is Maths Ext2.
I'm quite sure things like how to integrate are well within the 2U assumed knowledge for economics, but yeah, you raise a good point.

And Carrotsticks, I think you've convinced me of the merits of switching whilst I can. Apparently I've already given you karma so I can't give you more at the moment haha oops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)