ECON111 - Microeconomics (1 Viewer)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Does ECON111 require good knowledge of algebra, derivatives, calculus? i havent touched maths for years and im in SIBT 1st semester, and shell shocked at the moment with the maths part of it, the theory part is not hard at the moment. Im really worried i will fail the unit if the maths part (algebra) is assumed knowledge, i dont have a problem with learning new forumale if that is teached (not assumed knowledge) if that made sense.

I am thinking of using this weekend with a maths tutor for a few hours to relearn maths if it is really important, or can i still do good at this unit without good maths knowledge, i am going to take bridging maths unit next semester so i can refresh my maths for further maths related subjects.

Can someone advise me what maths i should get tutored on?

Is the maths in this unit more 2u general maths or 2 unit advanced maths??

blackrider89

HSC
Does ECON111 require good knowledge of algebra, derivatives, calculus? i havent touched maths for years and im in SIBT 1st semester, and shell shocked at the moment with the maths part of it, the theory part is not hard at the moment. Im really worried i will fail the unit if the maths part (algebra) is assumed knowledge, i dont have a problem with learning new forumale if that is teached (not assumed knowledge) if that made sense.

I am thinking of using this weekend with a maths tutor for a few hours to relearn maths if it is really important, or can i still do good at this unit without good maths knowledge, i am going to take bridging maths unit next semester so i can refresh my maths for further maths related subjects.

Can someone advise me what maths i should get tutored on?

Is the maths in this unit more 2u general maths or 2 unit advanced maths??
U studying at SIBT, rite? The maths that using in lectures are just bullshit, nvm them. 99% of students don't understand, either. And at least 3-5% of them get HD (me included).

The first exam, as my m8 told me, is always a bit hard. But there 're past papers been spread thru SIBT and they're real past papers. Grasp it and u will be fine I dare say. Tbh they're my past papers but last year my house was broken in and the thug(s) stole my lap so I don't have the soft copy of them now (I may have 1 hard copy but not sure, my room is such a mess now). But ask ur friends and they will give them 2 u coz I think this past papers are quite renowned at SIBT (my pride lol).

With the MCQs part of the Mid-term exam(s), try the study guide. To tell the truth I've never had a glance on it but my m8s said it is useful so I assume u can make use of it.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
yeh i am at SIBT, my friends (4 of them are also confused on maths - they are somewhat like me finish hsc years ago and 1 of them didnt attend high school overseas)

that puts big pressure off me, because i was like:spzz: in the first 2 weeks of tutorials, so i should spend more time on the past exam papers and problems at th4e back of the book? the new book has this myeconlab where it provides these so i will definately look at these for few hours before each class on my laptop

I am just going to 1. review lecture notes, 2. read book, 3. do tute homework/quiz/assessments and 4. extra study or mindmaps?? for econ111, accting 1a, and acbe (also for future units) just a 4 step routine i guess? at least do step 1 -3

Econ111 is the only subject that looks scary with the maths bit. So you are sure i can put off learning algebra etc. to next semester when i take bridging course??

can i also buy past papers? i see some advertisements regarding these?? macq library only has access to macq past papers not sibt, i heard

* sorrrry for long post

tajid73

HSC
I got this from sibt's facebook page
Workshops begin on Monday. The first two are:

ECON111 3.30pm, E3B118
ACST101 1.30pm, E3B216

...These workshops will give you tips of how to successfully pass these units. All are welcome.

I don't actually know what the workshops are for but there's nothing wrong to go there if you have time.

and from what I know after the semester I did econ111, it was set to be easier because of high failure rate of the previous semesters, so you should be alright.
But if you really have problem at math, it might be worth it to get a short math course or something like that as I believe there are some more other subjects that require higher level of assumed math.

blackrider89

HSC
yeh i am at SIBT, my friends (4 of them are also confused on maths - they are somewhat like me finish hsc years ago and 1 of them didnt attend high school overseas)

that puts big pressure off me, because i was like:spzz: in the first 2 weeks of tutorials, so i should spend more time on the past exam papers and problems at th4e back of the book? the new book has this myeconlab where it provides these so i will definately look at these for few hours before each class on my laptop

I am just going to 1. review lecture notes, 2. read book, 3. do tute homework/quiz/assessments and 4. extra study or mindmaps?? for econ111, accting 1a, and acbe (also for future units) just a 4 step routine i guess? at least do step 1 -3

Econ111 is the only subject that looks scary with the maths bit. So you are sure i can put off learning algebra etc. to next semester when i take bridging course??

can i also buy past papers? i see some advertisements regarding these?? macq library only has access to macq past papers not sibt, i heard

* sorrrry for long post
1st tip: Have Alec Yang as ur tutor. He always prepares 4 the final exams and may give u some "gonna be in the exams" questions. He teaches great as well.

2st tip: Have Maria as ur lecturer. If u can't, choose Stephane Mahuteau. U would never understand half of what he says but he s great and funny as hell. I just sat in his classes, laughed and slept (I swear on Gods). I got 86 though so u don't have 2 fully understand all the lecturers of this unit say.

3rd: Tbh, the mentioned past papers r compiled by myself. The ads may not be rite ones. Just ask ur m8 about them. My past papers are the ones that have a very big title "Past papers". If I find them in my room, I will let u know so u can make a copy...

No, u cannot find past papers in the library. Just myth, LMAO.

Last edited:

tajid73

HSC
No, u cannot find past papers in the library. Just myth, LMAO.
Only staffs can and you can if the lecturer in charge allows student to access it. (only uni though)
I remembered when i did acst201, we could download past paper from library and discuss the answers in discussion board as there were no answers provided.

blackrider89

HSC
Only staffs can and you can if the lecturer in charge allows student to access it. (only uni though)
I remembered when i did acst201, we could download past paper from library and discuss the answers in discussion board as there were no answers provided.
Yeah 4 some. And u can get them from the E-reserve without permission. 4 the ACST201 past papers I saw them in the E-reserve as well. The same applies 2 ECON200, BUSL250 (some very old ones).

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
please do let me know if you have the past papers,

i am so sick, so lazy told myself to go to the library to catch 2 weeks worth of work, but lazed off stayed at home and smoked marijuana with my friend and a chic .... both dont have a future... eeeek :spzz: i am so lazy!

i am striving for distinction in accounting 1a, and credit for economics dont see that happening if i dont get my act together from next week, acbe doesnt count for shit so just pass that one, i read up that it doesnt have a gpa weighting.

how do you guys keep yourself disciplined to study? what is your strategy? what sort of gpa is good enough for a entry level job eventually becoming financial accountant?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)