Economics at Uni (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey,

I'm in year 10, recently I've got back my subject lines for year 11 2009. There were not enough students to make a class but I still really want to do it. I decided to do distance ed economics.
But my careers advisor has told me it's not a good thing to do distance ed and has strongly advised me to do something else on the lines. He said it wasn't that important if you wanted to do economics in Uni and many people don't go well in it to get a good Uai.

Just wondering if anyone has got a great UAI still doing distance ed courses and if anybody knows if doing economics in yr 11 & 12 helps in giving you a head start in the economics courses at Uni. thanks, much appreciated.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Doing Economics in high school gives you a huge advantage. I pretty much haven't had to pay attention all year.

But it's not necessary, not at all. I seriously doubt it's worth doing distance ed for it. You could just read some books or some shit instead.

HSC
You'll be fine without doing it at school.

If you trust yourself to do the work needed for it via distance ed then by all means go for it. It helps to give a background to uni ecos but it's definitely not necessary.

If you do end up doing it via distance ed you might want to have a good relationship with a teacher who would have taught it so you can ask questions etc:)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Economics is not assumed knowledge for any Commerce or Economics course. You start from scratch. You do need to know a bit of maths though.

I never did economics in high school and still managed a D. It takes a while to understand the fundamental concepts, but once you understand them, the rest follow quite naturally.

spence

HSC
The major advantage of doing it at school would really be to see if you're interested in economics. Although uni economics is very different to HSC economics

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
If you want to do economics then go for it.
The only problem with dist ed. I'd imagine is that you need to be motivated to study Economics. In truth, you don't need a teacher for HSC Economics. So long as you have a couple of decent textbooks and keep track of the recent statistics and trends you should be fine.

Economics at uni, particularly the honours program, opens up some great career opportunities. However, your main aim right now is to maximise the UAI function by undertaking high scaling HSC subjects and spreading your study time across all the subjects. You may want to think about doing extension 2 maths in year 12 as it's a great subject in scaling terms. Good luck.

daniyell

HSC
hey i just finished the HSC doing economics by distance ed. i had the same problem as you with there not being a class for it. i would really recommend it. its hard at times but i think beneficial in the end. in a way it made doing the hsc exam easier because its basically teaching yourself which drills everything into your brain. i probably wouldve had to study a lot harder if id learnt it in a class due to distractions from friends and everything.

im hoping for a band 5 or 6 in the exam and i plan to study economics at uni. its obviously not a prerequisite but i think its important to do economics at school to know the basic fundamentals and have an interest in the subject. so yeah distance ed isnt as scary or as bad as it seems. good luck!

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
Hmmm what dodgy schools, we had 2 full classes absouloutly packed, should have been 3 classes back in the day.

spence

HSC
Yeah I'm pretty sure my school had either 3 or 4 classes and our grade was pretty small

doink

Clone
HSC
It will help with terminology, thats about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)