Economics band 6's (1 Viewer)

Rawf

HSC
I'm just pondering;
Because the eco test was really easy this year, does this mean more people attained band 6's?
Usually in my school, we'd receive only 7 -10 people with a band 6 in eco (13 once). However, I attained one being rank 11 and my friends ranked 12, 13, 16-17 also attained a band 6.
There are only about 40 people in my grade doing economics as well o__o
Does this mean that the scaled aggregate or whatever from our eco mark in ATAR calculators will be different to what we'll attain tomorrow? Assuming that ATAR calculators are mainly based off 2011 outcomes

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Well if this is the case across the state (which it probably isn't) it means that the aligning was too generous compared to the difficulty of the exam. UAC doesn't touch aligned marks and uses the raw marks that BOS provide to them, so in the hypothetical case that a subject was aligned very generously then it would appear to scale bad in terms of converting the HSC mark to an ATAR. So yes, assuming your hunch is correct the ATAR calculators scaled mark for Eco will be wrong and over estimate your atar.

Kieran95

HSC
My school was the total opposite, so i'm going to say that no, not as many people got band 6s.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
My school was the total opposite, so i'm going to say that no, not as many people got band 6s.
+1. I think it evens out across the state and certain exams suit certain cohorts due to what teachers concentrate on. The 2011 exam for eco was supposedly relatively easy and my cohort was stronger than usual for Eco (teachers thought rank 1 pretty much walked in with a band 6) but we were the first year in a while to not get a single band 6 in Eco.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
i topped economics at a school ranked 100ish and I got 86. i reckon the aligning was tight for eco this year

Bobbo1

HSC
It could just mean that the exam really suited your school this year. Maybe your teacher went through some very similar questions beforehand or you guys just had a strong cohort...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)